On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:29:46 -0300
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mche...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 03/12/2010 01:21 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> >> Hi Hans,
> >>
> >> As we've agreed that the idea is to allow multiple people to commit at
> >> v4l-utils,
> >> today, I've added 3 commits at v4l-utils tree (2 keycode-related and 1
> >> is .gitignore
> >> stuff). One of the reasons were to test the viability for such commits.
> >>
> >> I've temporarily enabled the same script that we use for upstream
> >> patches to
> >> generate patches against linuxtv-commits ML.
> >>
> >>  From my experiences, I have some notes:
> >>     1) git won't work fine if more than one is committing at the same
> >> tree.
> >> The reason is simple: it won't preserve the same group as the previous
> >> commits. So,
> >> the next committer will have troubles if we allow multiple committers;
> >>

> > I assume you are talking about some issues with permissions on the
> > server side here ?
>
> Yes. The new objects and the touched files got a different group ownership
> after git push. I had to manually fix them at the server.

The following might be inappropriate, as I didn't follow the discussion
about the linuxtv git infrastructure.

Using gitosis[1,2] these permission issues shouldn't occur, because only
one user (usually "git") actually writes to the filesystem while commit
rights are still handled with ssh pubkeys, and this doesn't even
require creating users on the server.

As I said I don't know if you are using gitosis already, if so then
sorry for the noise.

Regards,
   Antonio

[1] http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git