On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
> I think that what should be done is contact the debian / ubuntu maintainers,
> get any interesting fixes they have which the kl version misses merged,
> and then just declare the kl version as being the new official upstream
> (with the blessing of the debian / ubuntu guys, and if possible also
> with the blessing of the original authors).

It has always been my intention to get the Debian/Ubuntu patches
merged (as well as other distros).  My thoughts behind renaming were
oriented around the notion that that there are more distros out there
than just Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian, but that may be something that isn't
really a concern.  Also, I had no idea whether the distros would
actually switch over to the Kernel Labs version as the official
upstream source, so providing it under a different name would in
theory allow both packages to be available in parallel.

>From a practical standpoint, the Ubuntu folks have the original tvtime
tarball and all their changes in one patch, which is clearly a bunch
of patches that are mashed together probably in their build system.  I
need to reach out to them to find where they have an actual SCM tree
or the individual patches.  They've got a bunch of patches which would
be good to get into a single tree (autobuild fixes, cross-compilation,
locale updates, etc).

> This would require kl git to be open to others for pushing, or we
> could move the tree to git.linuxtv.org (which I assume may be
> easier then for you to make the necessary changes to give
> others push rights on kl.org).

Kernel Labs has never really had any real interest in "owning" tvtime.
 I just setup the hg tree in an effort to get all the distro patches
in one place and have something that builds against current kernels
(and on which I can add improvements/fixes without users having to
deal with patches).  At the time there was also nobody who clearly had
the desire to serve as an official maintainer.

In the long term I have no real issue with the LinuxTV group being the
official maintainer of record.  I've got lots of ideas and things I
would like to do to improve tvtime, but in practice I've done a pretty
crappy job of maintaining the source (merging patches, etc) at this
point.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs