Hi,

On 09/06/2011 08:35 PM, Michael Krufky wrote:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Hans de Goede<hdego...@redhat.com>  wrote:
Hi,

On 09/06/2011 06:24 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

<snip>

I've been thinking for a while that perhaps the project should be
renamed (or I considered prepending "kl" onto the front resulting in
it being called "kl-tvtime").  This isn't out of vanity but rather my
concern that the fork will get confused with the original project (for
example, I believe Ubuntu actually already calls their modified tree
tvtime 1.0.3).  I'm open to suggestions in this regards.

I think that what should be done is contact the debian / ubuntu maintainers,
get any interesting fixes they have which the kl version misses merged,
and then just declare the kl version as being the new official upstream
(with the blessing of the debian / ubuntu guys, and if possible also
with the blessing of the original authors).

This would require kl git to be open to others for pushing, or we
could move the tree to git.linuxtv.org (which I assume may be
easier then for you to make the necessary changes to give
others push rights on kl.org).

Hans,

Everybody is welcome to contribute to open source projects, but global
contribution doesn't mean that a given server be opened up to commits
by the general public.

I didn't write open to commits by the general public, now did I? I wrote
open to commits by others. For most upstream projects it is quite normal
that several people have push rights to the master tree. This actually
is quite a good idea, as it avoids adding a SPOF into the chain. It
means development can continue if one of the maintainers is on vacation
for a a few weeks, or just having a period in his/her life where he
is too busy to actively contribute to a spare time project.