I've been using a Technotrend TT 3600 USB DVB-S2 receiver for a couple of years, which has (largely) been working fine under the S2-liplianin pctv452e driver. I've been aware of a lot of documented problems with running this receiver under the 3.x kernel, so I've stuck with the 2.6 series kernels.

Unfortunately I've now had to upgrade to the 3.2.0 kernel for other unrelated reasons, and it seems that the device is more or less unusable under this kernel. With the stock 3.2.0 kernel, the driver produces numerous I2C errors and is quite unreliable. The I2C errors seem to be produced exclusively as a result of stb_6100_read_reg() reading register F, and notably all calls to stb6100_read_regs() seem to succeed, so I've replaced the stb_6100_read_reg() function with a call to stb6100_read_regs(), so it reads all the registers and then returns the requested one, rather than reading just the requested register. This seems to make the I2C errors disappear.

However, the card is still very unreliable - after about 5 minutes of receiving a channel (using MythTV), it breaks. No errors logged in dmesg, but MythTV logs:

DevRdB(/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) Error: Poll giving up
DVBSH(/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) Error: Device error detected
DVBRec(7:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) Error: Stream handler died unexpectedly.

Can anyone give me any pointers that might help? I've searched and searched and all I can see if people saying that it won't work since the DVB-S2 code was integrated into the kernel tree, but I've not seen anyone try to figure out _why_ it won't work.

Thanks.

--

 - Steve