On Mon August 6 2012 15:22:38 Jun Nie wrote:
> 2012/8/3 Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl>:

> >> I am not familiar with CEC implementation in GPU.
> >
> > As far as I am aware there isn't any.
> >
> >> But CEC should be
> >> independent in functionality with audio/video though it is A/V
> >> related. I prefer to support only CEC frame TX/RX in kernel. CEC
> >> include different category features that need parsing and may need
> >> application interaction. Venders may also configure some features as
> >> not supported.  If kernel support more than TX/RX, policy may be
> >> separated to user space part and kernel space part. The kernel
> >> interface also becomes complex, maybe ambiguous too. An user space
> >> library is more suitable for this task to interact with OS/media
> >> player/audio control/etc.
> >
> > I wish that were possible. Our current implementation internally is as you
> > proposed, but we recently discovered that for HDMI 1.4a this won't fly.
> >
> > There the CEC channel is also used for control of the ethernet and audio
> > return channel, and even for hotplug detect in some cases.
> >
> > That's something that has to be handled entirely in kernelspace. So some
> > parts of the CEC protocol have to be internally processed, other parts
> > have to be processed in userspace.
> >
> Thanks for your reminder. I was not aware of HEAC/ARC dependence on
> CEC for our product does not include these features. Maybe we can
> parse CDC CEC message in kernel and leave others to user space. But it
> is also an ugly propose.
> BTW: Do you see any scenario that EDID is changed dynamically? I do
> not know why to add hot-plug to CEC control while no physical HPD
> changes.

Switching between an EDID for analog or digital input when using a DVI-I cable
is the most common use-case that I know of. But this does not apply as such to
an HDMI connector since that's digital only.

Another might be that a simple EDID is setup when the device boots, and once
it is booted and all the features of the device are known a more advanced EDID
might be written.

I'm sure that there are more creative uses as well...