On Thu September 6 2012 06:09:44 Jun Nie wrote:
> 2012/9/5 Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl>:
> > On Wed 5 September 2012 10:04:41 Jun Nie wrote:
> >> Is there any summary for this summit or presentation material? I am
> >> looking forward for some idea on CEC. It is really complex in
> >> functionality.
> >> Maybe other guys is expecting simiar fruite from summit too.
> >
> > Yes, there will be a summit report. It's not quite finished yet, I think.
> >
> > With respect to CEC we had some useful discussions. It will have to be a
> > new class of device (/dev/cecX), so the userspace API will be separate from
> > drm or v4l.
> >
> > And the kernel will have to take care of the core CEC protocol w.r.t.
> > control
> > and discovery due to the HDMI 1.4a requirements.
> >
> > I plan on starting work on this within 1-2 weeks.
> >
> > My CEC presentation can be found here:
> >
> > http://hverkuil.home.xs4all.nl/presentations/v4l2-workshop-cec.odp
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >         Hans
>
> Thanks for quick response! It's good to know that CEC is independent
> with DRM/V4L for my HDMI implementation is FB/lcd-device based. CEC is
> also deserved to have independent management in both hardware signal
> and functionality. Someone also expressed similar thoughts before.
> Will remote control protocal parsing are done in userspace reference
> library? Or not decided yet?

Are you referring to the remote control pass-through functionality?
I don't know yet whether that will go through a userspace library or
through the RC kernel subsystem, or possibly both.

Most of the other non-system messages will go to a userspace library.

But I haven't started coding yet, so it is very early days :-)

The main thing is that at least I now have a high-level design that
I can start to work with.