Hi Tim,

Pardon late reply, I'm on vacation. See below...

On 06/28/2016 11:54 AM, Tim Harvey wrote:
On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Steve Longerbeam <slongerb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Tested on imx6q SabreAuto with ADV7180, and imx6q SabreSD with
mipi-csi2 OV5640. There is device-tree support also for imx6qdl
SabreLite, but that is not tested. Also, this driver should
theoretically work on i.MX5 targets, but that is also untested.

Not run through v4l2-compliance yet, but that is in my queue.

Steve,

I've tested this series successfully with a Gateworks Ventana GW5300
which has an IMX6Q and an adv7180 attached to IPU2_CSI1.

First of all, a big 'thank you' for taking the time to rebase and
re-submit this series!

However based on the lack of feedback of the individual patches as
well as the fact they touch varied subsystems I think we are going to
have better luck getting this functionality accepted if you broke it
into separate series.

Here are my thoughts:

   gpu: ipu-v3: Add Video Deinterlacer unit
   gpu: ipu-cpmem: Add ipu_cpmem_set_uv_offset()
   gpu: ipu-cpmem: Add ipu_cpmem_get_burstsize()
   gpu: ipu-v3: Add ipu_get_num()
   gpu: ipu-v3: Add IDMA channel linking support
   gpu: ipu-v3: Add ipu_set_vdi_src_mux()
   gpu: ipu-v3: Add VDI input IDMAC channels
   gpu: ipu-v3: Add ipu_csi_set_src()
   gpu: ipu-v3: Add ipu_ic_set_src()
   gpu: ipu-v3: set correct full sensor frame for PAL/NTSC
   gpu: ipu-v3: Fix CSI data format for 16-bit media bus formats
   gpu: ipu-v3: Fix IRT usage
   gpu: ipu-v3: Fix CSI0 blur in NTSC format
   gpu: ipu-ic: Add complete image conversion support with tiling
   gpu: ipu-ic: allow multiple handles to ic
   gpu: ipu-v3: rename CSI client device
These are all enhancements to the ipu-v3 driver shared by DRM and
maintained by Philipp Zabel and there is no way to 'stage' them.

Just a note here, all these patches to ipu-v3 driver are to the
capture units, and should have no effect on DRM.

Philipp, these have bee submitted previously with little to no changes
or feedback - can we get sign-off or comment on these from you?

Next I would submit the set of drivers that depend on the above into
staging as Hans has said he would accept those (assuming the deps are
accepted). Also, you should submit the drivers first in your series,
then the imx6q.dtsi/imx6qdl.dtsi patches following such as:

   media: imx: Add MIPI CSI-2 Receiver driver
   media: Add camera interface driver for i.MX5/6
   media: Add i.MX5/6 mem2mem driver
   media: imx: Add video switch
   ARM: imx_v6_v7_defconfig: Enable staging video4linux drivers
   ARM: dts: imx6qdl: Add mipi_ipu1/2 video muxes, mipi_csi, and their
connections
   ARM: dts: imx6qdl: Flesh out MIPI CSI2 receiver node
   ARM: dts: imx6qdl: add mem2mem device for sabre* boards

Ok I will reorder the patches.

I think this last one should add the mem2mem nodes to imx6q.dtsi and
imx6dl.dtsi to be useable by all boards with IPUs right?

Yeah, I'll move the mem2mem nodes to imx6qdl.dtsi and imx6q.dtsi.

After this we have a platform that many imx6 boards with capture
devices can build on.

In parallel, you have a couple of other dependencies before saber*
boards have full capture support that need to through other trees:

   gpio: pca953x: Add reset-gpios property
This should be submitted through the linux-gpio list/subsystem.

I've really got a lot on my plate, I'd appreciate if someone else
could help me out with that.

   clocksource/drivers/imx: add input capture support
Not sure what path this one goes through but it looks to me this patch
adds a feature that only some boards may require (input-capture).

Well, the input-capture support should be usable by any imx6 based
target, and not just for v4l2 subsystem.

   media: imx: Add support for MIPI CSI-2 OV5640
   media: imx: Add support for Parallel OV5642
shouldn't these be subdev drivers?

Well, they _are_ subdev drivers. I guess you mean they should be
moved to drivers/media/i2c? Agreed, at some point they need some
cleaning up and probably consolidated into a single subdev and moved
there.

  Perhaps the can make it into
staging at least in the form you have them now.

   v4l: Add signal lock status to source change events
   media: imx: Add support for ADV7180 Video Decoder
These should be dropped (the 1st is a dependency of the 2nd) and
instead we should be using the subdev driver. I believe you have this
working, and I have been somewhat successful with some of your patches
as well although I still have a 'rolling image' and do not appear to
be getting signal detect interrupts after the first one (which is
likely causing the rolling).

Tim, I've started a new branch 'adv718x' in my mediatree github fork
and moved all the patches to drivers/media/i2c/adv7180.c there. Note
the first commit in that branch!

As I'm currently on vacation and away from the h/w I won't be able to test
this branch with imx6 backend until I return on 7/6. Once the branch is
tested on the SabreAuto I will drop the staging adv7180.c driver.

   media: adv7180: add power pin control
   media: adv7180: implement g_parm
These seem very reasonable and indeed go to linux-media but perhaps
should be split out from the imx6 patchset to be able to get more
attention on them?

Yes, see above.

   ARM: dts: imx6-sabrelite: add video capture ports and connections
   ARM: dts: imx6-sabresd: add video capture ports and connections
   ARM: dts: imx6-sabreauto: create i2cmux for i2c3
   ARM: dts: imx6-sabreauto: add reset-gpios property for max7310
   ARM: dts: imx6-sabreauto: add pinctrl for gpt input capture
   ARM: dts: imx6-sabreauto: add video capture ports and connections
These should probably be last in a series on their own as there are
several dependencies within them for things that need to take
alternate submission paths.

Agreed, I will reorder things.

Steve