From: jwhill2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DiskOnChip Help Needed
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 00:59:53 GMT

I bought a SBC with a 72MB DOC. For some reason "syslinux" cannot detect
that I have 128MB of RAM and gives me a nasty gram upon boot. I by-pass
the message and boot anyway, but loading of the kernel just hangs. If I
bypass "syslinux" and boot up on a kernel, it works fine, but I'm still
having trouble with the DOC. Does anyone have a working kernel with DOC
support enabled ...one that works? I have a dead-line closing in and I
need to get this board working. Many thanks for your response.

John

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Siemel Naran)
Subject: Re: filenames with spaces and wildcards
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:31:23 GMT

On 22 Apr 2000 14:59:12 GMT, Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>AFA the shell and special chars, it may seem like a pain at first but
>if you appreciate the "globbing" the shells do in Linux that eliminate
>half the work Dos/Windows programmers have to do when accessing files
>on disk from applications then it may balance out.  Everything is a
>trade-off.

I disagree.  Allowing spaces and wildcards and quotes in filenames is
good because it affords greater power of expression.  At first, my idea
may sound nice but a little excessive, and most people wouldn't use it.
However, I counter that we've been trained to use filenames without
spaces for so long, and that's the real reason why we don't use them
and why the shell doesn't support them.

Consider my example again.  I had something like this
   set -- $inprefix*$suffix
This allows me to use $# to get the number of files, or $1 to access the
first file, or a for loop like "for file in $@".  (By the way, "for file
in inprefix*$suffix" also runs into the same problems -- namely, what
happens with files containing spaces and other special characters.

It seems that all the shells (sh, bash, bash2, tcsh, zsh) follow this
retarted rule.  I propose that in bash2 or bash3, filenames will
automatically have quotes around them.  Hence if you have these two
files "a .t" and "a2.t", then
   set -- *
   echo $1   should print a .t
   echo $2   should print a2.t
The set line is equivalent to
   set -- "a .t" "a2.t"

Do you think that my proposed rule will cause any problems?  Will any
old code become broken?  I think the answer is no, but maybe I just
haven't thought hard enough.

==============
siemel b naran
==============

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Siemel Naran)
Subject: Re: nested loops in bash
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:33:20 GMT

On 21 Apr 2000 22:39:42 EDT, Dances With Crows

>>Why do nested loops not work in bash?

>>#!/bin/bash
>>acount=0
>>bcount=0
>>
>>while [ $acount -le 9 ] ; do
>>   while [ $bcount -le 9 ] ; do
>>      echo mv b$acount$bcount.t a$acount$bcount.t
>>      bcount=$[$bcount+1]
>>   done
>>   acount=$[$acount+1]
>>done

>>What's the deal?
>
>You've made a Silly Programming Error is what's the deal.  Take another
>look at the second while loop and the value of bcount upon exiting that
>while loop.  Use a for loop if you want for-loop behavior; use a while
>loop if you want that....

Yes, a very silly programming error.  The initialization of bcount to 0
should be inside the 1st for loop.  Duh.  Thanks.

==============
siemel b naran
==============

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which modem is good for LINUX
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:39:31 -0500

John Hasler wrote:

> David writes:
> > I use the 3com courier and have no problems with it at all.
>
> I have a 3com U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem (external) and it is a worthless
> piece of junk.  I've gone back to my generic internal.

Mine is an ISA Internal 56K x2 and I don't even configure it after the
installation other than the basic dialer phone number and DNS config. As
I said no problems at all.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:42:31 -0500

"David .." wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
> >
> > David writes:
> > > I use the 3com courier and have no problems with it at all.
> >
> > I have a 3com U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem (external) and it is a worthless
> > piece of junk.  I've gone back to my generic internal.
>
> Mine is an ISA Internal 56K x2 and I don't even configure it after the
> installation other than the basic dialer phone number and DNS config. As
> I said no problems at all.

BTW I also have a USrobotics 56k ISA internal voice modem in one of my
other systems. I have to correct the IRQ but other than that it works
without problems also.

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:45:45 -0500

Tom Hoffmann wrote:

> And your problem would be ...
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michael Mitchell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > my problem can't be that hard, if you can help please do, this is
> > frustrating

He's new to this? Could be! ;o)

From: Sung Soo Kang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: asx, asf and Linux
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 02:12:16 GMT

Is there anyway to get those things being played on Linux?

------------------------------

From: "David S. Bateman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modem stalls?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 21:09:45 -0400

Milton Brizan wrote:

> Whenever I use a dial-up connection, my modem seems to stall for minutes
> at a time before continuing to download a webpage. I've used kppp, wvdial
> and rp3 ... they all do the same thing. I've even tried using diffrent
> browsers.

check to see if your ISP supports the protocol your modem uses ( x2 , flex ,
etc), I had the same problem (3com external) and had to disable the
offending protocol (x2)

Dave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 02:16:49 GMT

Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw a time when Siemel Naran would say:
>On 22 Apr 2000 14:59:12 GMT, Michael Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>AFA the shell and special chars, it may seem like a pain at first but
>>if you appreciate the "globbing" the shells do in Linux that eliminate
>>half the work Dos/Windows programmers have to do when accessing files
>>on disk from applications then it may balance out.  Everything is a
>>trade-off.
>
>I disagree.  Allowing spaces and wildcards and quotes in filenames is
>good because it affords greater power of expression.  At first, my idea
>may sound nice but a little excessive, and most people wouldn't use it.
>However, I counter that we've been trained to use filenames without
>spaces for so long, and that's the real reason why we don't use them
>and why the shell doesn't support them.

I think you're not grasping why the shell doesn't support them...

They're not unsupported due to some vacuum, but rather because
the shells expect to be able to deal with filenames _as text_.

export filelist='this_file that_file the_other_file'
do_something_to_files $filelist

>Consider my example again.  I had something like this
>   set -- $inprefix*$suffix
>This allows me to use $# to get the number of files, or $1 to access the
>first file, or a for loop like "for file in $@".  (By the way, "for file
>in inprefix*$suffix" also runs into the same problems -- namely, what
>happens with files containing spaces and other special characters.
>
>It seems that all the shells (sh, bash, bash2, tcsh, zsh) follow this
>retarted rule.  I propose that in bash2 or bash3, filenames will
>automatically have quotes around them.  Hence if you have these two
>files "a .t" and "a2.t", then
>   set -- *
>   echo $1   should print a .t
>   echo $2   should print a2.t
>The set line is equivalent to
>   set -- "a .t" "a2.t"
>
>Do you think that my proposed rule will cause any problems?  Will any
>old code become broken?  I think the answer is no, but maybe I just
>haven't thought hard enough.

The "rule" is not "retarded;" it effectively represents the difference
between strong typing and weak typing.

The UNIX shells use a _weak_ typing of values.  The only difference
between a scalar and a list/vector is the insertion of spaces between
values.

What you are proposing is to move to a form of strong typing, where you
have to put explicit delimiters around each filename.

I think I need to beg the question:

How will you make filenames "automatically" have quotes around them?

LOTS of instances exist where filenames are constructed on the fly,
and only at an instant actually become _filenames._  Until they are
actually _used_ as filenames, they are merely scraps of text, appended
together.

What you are proposing is a strongly-typed scheme analagous to the
Common Lisp notion of "namestrings."  (See the HyperSpec.)  There's
nothing _wrong_ with that representation; the critical thing is that
it _is_ a critical change in syntax.

The code:
  for i in 'this that other thing'; do
     perform_something_with $i
  done
_will break_ when you change the representation of filenames.

The code:
file1="this"
file2="that"
file3='other thing'
for j in '$file1 $file2 $file3'; do
   do_something_with $j
done

isn't going to work properly if the quoting system changes.

Again, your _idea_ isn't stupid; what _would be_ is to try to
push that change into zsh/ksh/bash/csh where it would change the
syntax to the breaking point.

Your change would be perfectly appropriate for a _new_ scripting
language.  Frankly, there _is_ merit to moving to a more
strongly-typed scripting language where the distinction between
a file and a _list_ of files would be made more explicit.

Make a new shell that is newer and better; breaking the existing
ones would _not_ be welcome.
--
"I  doubt this language  difference would  confuse anybody  unless you
were providing instructions on the insertion of a caffeine enema."

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 01:12:45 GMT

Michael Mitchell writes:
> ...if you can help please do,...

Can't, without knowing what you want help with.

> ...this is frustrating...

Yes, it is.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Michael Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 02:34:58 GMT

please scroll up about 10 messages or so, I was trying to install linux
in a dos partition but after booting in the install it hangs

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 23:07:09 -0400
From: ish rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creating dummy processes

Write a C program that uses fork() and execl() to do the job.

hth

------------------------------

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setuid?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:05:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Rescue9" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I try to start a program as root it says "don't run as setuid
root,
> change to a user" but when I change to a user it says I don't have the
> permissions.... how can I solve this problem?

If I'm reading your question right, as root:
chmod 755 program
As user:
program

My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

From: Duane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the / just keeps growing
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:23:20 GMT

In article <8drf34$56a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Alexander K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hello!
>
> a mont or two ago my X didnt startup. i was told this was due to a
> crowded rootpartition. when i checked (df), yes, it was 100% full.
> so i removed some stuff and X worked.
> i use mandrake 7. i think i chose the "high security" setting at
> install, am not sure though.
>
> but the problem is, it just keeps on growing.
> i know about the coredumps (how do i stop (forbid) these?).
> and i know about the logs.

To track down these kinds of problems, after not finding the culprit
in the obvious places, I sometimes use this kind of a procedure:
cd /
du -ks `ls` > du.date
This will save the sizes of all the directories at the root level
into the file du.date. Then of course after the filesystem has grown
somewhat (maybe the next day), again do
cd /
du -ks `ls`
and compare to the contents of du.date to see which directory is
growing. Go into that directory (likely /home or /usr) and repeat
the process.

My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:42:04 +0000
From: mh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: software installation

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> newbie trying to install DB2. successfully
> downloaded from ibm and untarred. supposed to run
> db2setup but have no idea how. tried 'install -g
> db2setup' at Xterm $ but got too few arguments
> response. went to 'man install' which totally
> confused me, but tried many options but always got
> 'too few arguments in response'. anyone know how i
> can install db2 or in general what i'm doing
> wrong?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I'm not familiar with the DB2 application, but many Linux apps use a
setup script to install themselves.  I suspect you simply need to run
the script (possibly as root).  To do so, cd to the directory where
"db2setup" is located then type "./db2setup" (without quote marks) at
the command prompt.

------------------------------

From: Bryan Hoyt<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mail filtering for the Linux console
Date: 23 Apr 2000 15:42:21 +1200

I want to be able to filter mail into separate folders, like you can in
Netscape Messenger, but with a command from the Linux console. Is there
a way to do this using common programs like fetchmail, mail, pine, and
others with bash? Any help would be very nice indeed.

Bryan Hoyt

From: Unit 4 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.non.sequitur,alt.how,alt.conspiracy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Carp!
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 23:42:52 -0400

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 23:41:38 GMT, David Castrodale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote, in alt.conspiracy.microsoft:

}
}
}hoKEy wOLf wrote:
}>
}> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Castrodale
}> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
}>
}> > Axel wrote:
}> > >
}> > > David Castrodale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> enjoys the great taste of beef:
}> > >
}> > > >
}> > > >
}> > > >hoKEy wOLf wrote:
}> > > >>
}> > > >> In article <MPG.136a85f359845955989690@news>, Maynard
}> > > >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
}> > > >>
}> > > >> > then The Queen of Cans and Jars said:
}> > > >> > > Nealworm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
}> > > >> > >
}> > > >> > > > On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 02:49:39 GMT, David Castrodale
}> > > >> > > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
}> > > >> > > > spake thusly:
}> > > >> > > >
}> > > >> > > > >
}> > > >> > > > >
}> > > >> > > > >Maynard wrote:
}> > > >> > > > >>
}> > > >> > > > >> then Axel, the Half-naked College Student said:
}> > > >> > > > >> > the portable jim carleton
}> > > >> > > > >> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
}> > > >> > > > >> > enjoys the great taste of beef:
}> > > >> > > > >> >
}> > > >> > > > >> > >This, from Axel, the Half-naked College Student:
}> > > >> > > > >> > >
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>the portable jim carleton
}> > > >> > > > >> > >><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>enjoys the great taste of beef:
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>>alt.home.repair is alive and doing well! oh well, i
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>>guess i
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>>hace to
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>>cnacel its adotpion.
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>
}> > > >> > > > >> > >>You cannot undo what has been done.
}> > > >> > > > >> > >
}> > > >> > > > >> > >ok, i guess i'll hace to persent mieself to tehm as
}> > > >> > > > >> > >theyre god.
}> > > >> > > > >> >
}> > > >> > > > >> > Shouldn't be too difficult to convince them.
}> > > >> > > > >>
}> > > >> > > > >> just brandish your grout trowel a lot.
}> > > >> > > > >
}> > > >> > > > >write them a "novel"
}> > > >> > > >
}> > > >> > > > a bowl of cherries in hell
}> > > >> > >
}> > > >> > > give me some water, the only thing that i want
}> > > >> >
}> > > >> > it's not just for dousing fires anymore
}> > > >>
}> > > >> bill gates can fire anyone he wants, thanks
}> > > >
}> > > >DAER MICRSOTF: HI I JSUT BUOGHT TEH WINDOWS 89 ADN I DNOT NKOW BUT I
}> > > >TIHNK TAHT IT ISS BROKEDED BECAUES WHEN I PUHS S BUOTTN OAN TEH
}> > > >CMPUTRE
}> > > >IT JSUT BEEEPS  ADN MAEKS SORTT OF LIEK A HUMMUNG NOIES ADN TEHN A
}> > > >LIHGT
}> > > >COEMS ON ADN EVRYTHNIG GETS REALYL HOTT, BUT MYABE ITS BECAUES  I
}> > > >TIHNK
}> > > >TAH T MAYBE MY COMPUTRE IS JSUT A MICROWAEV, I DNOT KNWO CAN YUO HLEP
}> > > >ME?????/??
}> > >
}> > > Dear valued Microsoft Peon^H^H^H^HCustomer,
}> > >
}> > > Thank you for "choosing" Microsoft Windows 98.  We ask that you direct
}> > > all technical questions to your computer system vendor.  Microsoft is
}> > > not responsible for any of the features of the OS that you
}> > > unexpectedly may encounter.
}> > >
}> > > We appreciate your mone^H^H^H^Hbusiness.
}> > >
}> >
}> > DAER MIRCOSFT: OK I DNOT UDNERSTND BECAUES I DID NIT BYU TEH COMPUTRE
}> > FRMO TEH VNEDOR I BOUHGT IT FRMO TEH APPILANEC STOER ADN NWO WEHN I TRRY
}> > TO LOOK AT TEH INTRENET ALL TAHT HAPPENSE IS TAHT ALL TEHSE SPARKS STRAT
}> > GOIGN INSIED TEH SCREEN ADN I TIHNK ITS GOIGN TO CATHC ON
}> > FIER!!!!!1!!!1!!!@! I TIEHNK TAHT MABYE IT HAS A COOMPUTRE
}> > VIRSU!!!!!1!!!2!!  ASLO, TEH INSIED OF TEH SCREEEN WEHN I OPEN TEH DOOR,
}> > IT IS VREY HOT. BILL CAN YUO PLEAES HLEP ME IT IS IMPRONTATN!!!!1!!1!!!!
}> > OK TAHNK YUO!!
}>
}> Myabe yuo shuold tyr "Ucnle Biil."  HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAa
}
}DAER UCNLE BIIL: OK NWO IT IS VEYR BAD BECAUES NOW THEER IS TEH FIER
}COMIGN OTU OF TEH CMPUTRE AND IT IS BRUNIGN DWON MY HUOSE CUOLD YUO CALL
}991 B ECAUES TEH COMPTRE VIRUSS IS CACTHIGN EVRYTHNG ON FIER ADN  NWO I
}CANOT OOOK AT TEH INTRENET!!!!!1!!1! TAKHN YUO MOCROSOFT!!!!!!!!2!!!1!!

WARNING:

You have violated the Microsoft software licensing statutes.
Microsoft products are not intended to be subjected to extremes of
temperature, humidity, humility, questioning, cross-examining or
destructive testing by fire. We cannot therefore continued to provide
support for a product that has been abused. Please remove our name from
your list.

ATTENDI:

Doo das bustink vis Microsoft badhacken shrinkrapper bulldungen.
Microsoft crappera fur no bakken, soaken, spanken, asken, judiciforken, or
flicken der Bic. Dast meani du est fukken for gut. UNSUBSCREBI.

------------------------------

From: Gary Bjerke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Embedded linux license question
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 00:30:52 -0500

If there is a better forum to answer this question, please direct me to
it.

There are now several Linux distros available for use in embedded
environments, on a variety of processors. One of the frequently-claimed
advantages for using Linux for embedded development is that there is no
license fee.

There are, however, license requirements. Linux is covered by the GPL,
and as I read the GPL, it is required that anyone redistributing linux
in source or object form must make available the source for all of the
linux code used in the distro, which means also any new include files
required for a clean compile, and any make files, but not proprietary
object code.

These are my question(s):

1. Are you required to distribute compile and link tools? The GPL
appears to imply that you might have to if these are not readily
available for the target platform.

2. Are you required to provide a way in which a new boot image can be
downloaded?

--
+--------------+
| Gary Bjerke  |

------------------------------

From: David Castrodale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.non.sequitur,alt.how,alt.conspiracy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 03:59:38 GMT

Unit 4 wrote:

> [...]
> }COMIGN OTU OF TEH CMPUTRE AND IT IS BRUNIGN DWON MY HUOSE CUOLD YUO CALL
> }991 B ECAUES TEH COMPTRE VIRUSS IS CACTHIGN EVRYTHNG ON FIER ADN  NWO I
> }CANOT OOOK AT TEH INTRENET!!!!!1!!1! TAKHN YUO MOCROSOFT!!!!!!!!2!!!1!!
>
> WARNING:
>
> You have violated the Microsoft software licensing statutes.
> Microsoft products are not intended to be subjected to extremes of
> temperature, humidity, humility, questioning, cross-examining or
> destructive testing by fire. We cannot therefore continued to provide
> support for a product that has been abused. Please remove our name from
> your list.
>
> ATTENDI:
>
> Doo das bustink vis Microsoft badhacken shrinkrapper bulldungen.
> Microsoft crappera fur no bakken, soaken, spanken, asken, judiciforken, or
> flicken der Bic. Dast meani du est fukken for gut. UNSUBSCREBI.

DAER MICRSOTF: NWO  MY CLOETHS AER ALL ON FIER ADN TEH COMPTRE IS ALL
BUREND DWON FRMO TEH COMPUTRE VIRIS!!!!!!1!!!1!!! BTU I DNOT NKOW WAHT
HAPPENDE BECAUES I PUT IN TEH WINDWSO 89 DC IN TEH COMPUTR ADN PUEHSED
TEH KEYBORAD IT STRATED METLING!!!!!!2!!  I JSUT WNAT TO LOOK AT TEH
INTRENET ADN LERN HOW TO BEE AN 3L33T H4X0R, BTU I CASNT BECAUES TEH
COMPUTRE IS ALL ON FIER FROM TEH WINDWS OR TEH COMPUTR VIRIS, BTU I DNOT
NKOW WIC H!!!!1!!1! I AM VREY AGRNY AT YUO MOCOROSFT, ADN I AM GOIGN TO
REPROT YUO TO YUOR ISP!!!!!1!! IWNAT TO UNSURSCRIBE FROM TEH WINNOWS
89!!!!!!!!1!!2!! OK TEH SMOEK IS MAKIGN ME DIZY,L BYW!!!1!

--
David
"this human form where i was born, i now repent."