Linux-Misc Digest #236, Volume #27               Mon, 26 Feb 01 14:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? (Tony Curtis)
  PBX vs. Linux (Young4ert)
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time?
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? (Michael Wang)
  Re: tar from date (-N, --newer, --after-date) (Michael Heiming)
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? ("J.Smith")
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? ("J.Smith")
  generic 17" monitor X windows help! (zrizer)
  how to play .mp3 files on Linux Mandrake? (Gaurav Navlakha)
  FREE DEMO ("U-Online")
  Re: how to play .mp3 files on Linux Mandrake? ("D. Stimits")
  Re: [Q] How do I boot without a keyboard connected? (Rudy Taraschi)
  Re: how to change root password (richard noel fell)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: tar from date (-N, --newer, --after-date) (Frederick Bartlett)
  Install CD-RW on Linux ?? ("John Gill")
  Re: Install CD-RW on Linux ?? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time? (Matt Venn)
  scfs available for Linux? (David Vidal Rodriguez)
  more help needed with changing root password (richard noel fell)
  Re: more help needed with changing root password (Lew Pitcher)
  small linux distro ("Major Dondo")

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: redirect stderr to both screen and logfile at same time?
Date: 26 Feb 2001 11:09:37 -0600

>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:38:01 GMT,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Wang) said:

>> Is there any way to do this?
>>  Maybe this?
>>
>> ./command 2>&1 | tee logfile
>>
>> (merges stdout and stderr before the pipe)

> This does not satisfy the reqirement if I read it
> literally because it also redirect the the stdout to the
> logfile.

The OP said:

    I would like to be able to (re)direct stdout and
    stderr to *both* the screen *and* a logfile at the
    same time.

So...both std* to both destinations.

The avalanche has already started.
It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PBX vs. Linux
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:55:31 GMT

Hi,

I have an old 386-20 system, equipped with three modems, which is currently
connected to the Internet through a switch on a T-1 line acts as a FAX
server as well as a Telephone Answering Machine (TAD).  I also have several
internet equipment, i.e. webTV, Aplio/Phone, Iopener, Dreamcast machine
etc. that I want them go online by means of my Linux machine as a dialup
router through a small PBX (hybrid) switch, acting as a bridge, without
incuring any telephone line.  Does anyone know if this is doable?  Can any
recommend an inexpensive small PBX (hybrid) switch that I can find in the
US, particularly in the greater Atlanta, GA area?  I suppose a digital PBX
switch is out of question since it does not support an analog modem
connection, right?

TIA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Date: 26 Feb 2001 17:11:48 GMT

In comp.unix.admin J.Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi.

> In a particular script, I would like to be able to (re)direct stdout and
> stderr to *both* the screen *and* a logfile at the same time. Just doing
> './commandname 1>/logfile 2>/logfile' will redirect stdout and stderr to the
> logfile, but wont show the output on the screen anymore. And the 'tee'
> command only seems to work for stdout, and not for stderr.

> Is there any way to do this?
SCRIPT(1)               FreeBSD General Commands Manual              SCRIPT(1)

NAME
     script - make typescript of terminal session

SYNOPSIS
     script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]]

DESCRIPTION
     Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal.  It is
     useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session
     as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out lat-
     er with lpr(1).

(and yes, script exists in thos old sysV types systems too)

--
Peter Håkanson               Phone     +46707328101       Fax +4631223190
IPSec sverige                Email      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Wang)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:17:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tony Curtis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:38:01 GMT,
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Wang) said:
>
>>> Is there any way to do this?
>>>  Maybe this?
>>>
>>> ./command 2>&1 | tee logfile
>>>
>>> (merges stdout and stderr before the pipe)
>
>> This does not satisfy the reqirement if I read it
>> literally because it also redirect the the stdout to the
>> logfile.
>
>The OP said:
>
>    I would like to be able to (re)direct stdout and
>    stderr to *both* the screen *and* a logfile at the
>    same time.

The subject line says something different.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:00:44 +0100
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tar from date (-N, --newer, --after-date)

Frederick Bartlett wrote:

> Thanks, but that has the same result: It gives me all the files. Here's
> the output of
>   tar -tvf test.tar
> after running
>   tar -cvf test.tar . --newer 02/23/01
>
> I'm still baffled ....
>
> For the record, I'm running bash under RH 7.0, kernel 2.2-16.
>

> David wrote:
>
> > Maybe like this:
> >
> >         tar -cvf test.tar . --newer 02/24/01
> >
> > It will include any/all directories inside the curent directory but only
> > files that have changed or are newer than date.

I'm baffled too, as I would have used the same as David.

I tried it out to be really sure and it's working as expected (SuSE 7.0 -
kernel 2.4.0)?

tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:25:24 +0100

> >The OP said:
> >
> >    I would like to be able to (re)direct stdout and
> >    stderr to *both* the screen *and* a logfile at the
> >    same time.
>
> The subject line says something different.

Yes, I know the subject line says something different.
But I like to keep my subject lines as short as possible, cause experience
has thought me that using long subject lines leads to messages that dont get
read...

Again, sorry for the confusion it might have caused.
Wont do it again, promise ;)

> >The OP said:
BTW, whats an OP ?

------------------------------

From: "J.Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:26:53 +0100

> SCRIPT(1)               FreeBSD General Commands Manual
SCRIPT(1)

> NAME
>      script - make typescript of terminal session
>
> SYNOPSIS
>      script [-a] [-k] [-q] [-t time] [file [command ...]]
>
> DESCRIPTION
>      Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal.  It
is
>      useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive
session
>      as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out
lat-
>      er with lpr(1).

Yes, I am aware of the script command. But this will only work in
interactive sessions, wont it? script cant be used when running a job
scheduled from cron, or will it? And the redirect stuff will...

Right?

------------------------------

From: zrizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: generic 17" monitor X windows help!
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:30:08 -0000

here's the problem:
when you go to set up X, it asks you for the refresh rates of your monitor
and gives you this huge list of common monitors. however, my monitor is
generic (i mean, i can't find a name or anything on it!), so i don't know
what the refresh rate is.
i know that when i initially installed RH 7 it probed the monitor and found
it to be *something* -- i don't know,some weird thing like EC65-90
whatever, i dont' rememember. anyway, i guess my question is: is there a
way to perform this probe manually? see, i know my monitor is capable of
1280x1024, but all i can get out of X is 1024x768. or is there maybe 3rd
party software that can figure out your monitors refresh rates? right now
my monitor is set up as a "generic monitor that can do 1024x768 @ 60hz" i
think. i'm not real sure, i try to change it all the time.
info for reference:
linux build: RH 7 full
monitor : hell if i know
graphics card: voodoo banshee (the one in between voodoo2 and 3 i think)
AMD Athlon 650mHz, 320 M RAM
Thanks in advance!
~ZAQ

From: Gaurav Navlakha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to play .mp3 files on Linux Mandrake?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:40:59 -0600

Hi,

I tried using Xmms, but when I select an mp3 file to play, it spits out
the following message:

Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

Anyone has a clue as to what the problem might be? My soundcard is good
with windows. And I have no other programs accessing the sound card open
(afaik)

Thanks in advance,
Gaurav.

------------------------------

From: "U-Online" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.education.distance,alt.training.technology,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: FREE DEMO
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:53:40 GMT

U-Online (www.u-online.net) would like to announce a FREE DEMO of it's
Introduction to Linux: A Workshop Approach
(http://www.u-online.net/courses/featured.html).

Announced a few weeks ago, This U-Online exclusive, Web-based course provide
users with a hands-on introduction to the Linux operating system, with
emphasis on practising essential skills for setting-up and using a Linux
desktop.

Cost: 59.95 (in Canadian funds)
Duration: 30-40 hours
Interactivity: Learner-centered, self-paced
Audio: Yes
Video: Yes
Demo Available: Yes

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:59:01 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to play .mp3 files on Linux Mandrake?

Gaurav Navlakha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried using Xmms, but when I select an mp3 file to play, it spits out
> the following message:
>
> Please check that:
> 1. You have the correct output plugin selected
> 2. No other programs is blocking the soundcard
> 3. Your soundcard is configured properly
>
> Anyone has a clue as to what the problem might be? My soundcard is good
> with windows. And I have no other programs accessing the sound card open
> (afaik)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gaurav.

Try "mpg123 filename.mp3".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rudy Taraschi)
Subject: Re: [Q] How do I boot without a keyboard connected?
Date: 26 Feb 2001 18:09:50 GMT

"FREDRIK LINDSTRÖM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You can buy a dummy plugg in a good computer shop. I used to my
> server in the garage.

Thanks for the tip, but no computer store around here has ever heard of
one.  It seems logical to me hat such an animal should exist.  Could
you give me the name and/or source of yours?  Thanks in advance!

--
Rudy Taraschi

<rudy at see aye ee dot see aye> is my correct email address

------------------------------

From: richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: how to change root password
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:26:35 -0500

==============5DF0D4614C1431B283B30FE5

Thanks, a very clear explanation which I will put into use now.
Dick Fell

--
Please note new email address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard Fell
13 Davida Road
Burlington, Ma 01803
(781)273-2126

==============5DF0D4614C1431B283B30FE5

Thanks, a very clear explanation which I&nbsp;will put into use now.
fell &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
so

<pre>--&nbsp;
Please note new email address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard Fell
13 Davida Road
Burlington, Ma 01803
(781)273-2126</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:20:34 +0000

>> I disagree. What about the welfare state? Safety critical public
>> services
>> (eg Air traffic control*) etc?
>>

>> * This is more of a problem in the UK than the US since the skies are
>> much more crowded due to a rather smaller quantity of it.
>
> And they're going to privatise it, despite
>
> a) having condemned air privatisation while in opposition,
>
> and
>
> b) having not learned a single lesson of the rail privatisation fiasco.

You wonder how they seem able to justify it to them selves to tell bare
faced lies, and how they want to mindlessly presue party dogma despite
mounting evidence that is is crazy. If it goes through, then the fisrt
big air crash will probably see them out at the end of ofice.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Frederick Bartlett <fbartlett'ignore'@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:20:05 GMT

tar --version gives the same results here, so that can't be it.

Should I therefore assume that it's the kernel? Or could it be something
specific to Red Hat? I'm using RH 7.0 and kernel 2.2.16-22smp.

I did want to put off compiling the latest kernel until I was a bit more
comfortable with Linux. *sigh*

For the moment, I can certainly work around this problem by creating a
file that contains the names of only those files I want to update.

Still, I would like to understand why tar isn't Doing The Right Thing
for me.

Thanks for your help!
Fred

------------------------------

From: "John Gill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Install CD-RW on Linux ??
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:27:20 GMT

Hi all.

Is anyone using a CD-RW device on Linux ?  If so, what works best, IDE or
SCSI and what are the implications for use with Linux back-up software --
network based.

Thanks, I have a small network with Red Hat 7.0 Linux as the Primary Domain
Controller.

-- John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Install CD-RW on Linux ??
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:34:51 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:27:20 GMT, "John Gill"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>Is anyone using a CD-RW device on Linux ?

Yes. I am. I'm sure that there are many others as well. <g>

>If so, what works best, IDE or SCSI

I have no idea as I've never compared IDE to SCSI.
However, I'd guess that SCSI might be a bit better, as the IDE CDRW
drives have to be emulated as SCSI to get the CDRW utilities to work.
I bet that native SCSI would work better than emulated SCSI, but I
have no proof of that assertion.

>and what are the implications for use with Linux back-up software --
>network based.

Don't know. There's at least one backup package that can network
backup to a server's CDRW drive, but I have no knowledge of it's
requirements or limitations.

>Thanks, I have a small network with Red Hat 7.0 Linux as the Primary Domain
>Controller.

I have a small network with Slackware 3.3 as the server (SAMBA
WORKGROUP host, dns, nntp server, mailserver, webserver, NFS server,
IPMasquerade/firewall, dial-on-demand internet server) and a dual boot
Slackware 7.0 / MSWin98se workstation. The server also has an IDE CDRW
drive for backups; this works well for my configuration.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Venn)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.aix,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.shell
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:27:01 +0000

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:27:03 +0100, J.Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>cat thisfiledoesnotexist 2>&1 | tee -a logfile

It works for me on Linux.

Matt

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
$A='A';while(print+($A.=(grep{($A=~/(...).{78}$/)[0]eq$_}"  A A A  "

------------------------------

From: David Vidal Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: scfs available for Linux?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:44:30 +0100

Hi there!
Is there an implementation of the SmartCard Filesystem (scfs) available
for Linux? And by the way, is it possible to login with such a card in a
normal PC? (provided, naturally, that there's a reader installed!)

Thanks in advance.
 David Vidal R. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: more help needed with changing root password
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:52:22 -0500

==============176DA4184BD1239EA0E9F6AA

Sorry to be such a bother, but this is not going as smoothly as I had hoped.

I edited, via the rescue disk, the /etc/passwd file for my root entry to

root::0:root:/root:/bin/bash. Now, when I reboot, when I try to log in as root, I am
prompted for a password. Of course

this is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. Is not my entry for root in
etc/passwd correct to allow me

to log on without a password?

Thanks for any help,

Dick Fell

--
Please note new email address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard Fell
13 Davida Road
Burlington, Ma 01803
(781)273-2126

==============176DA4184BD1239EA0E9F6AA

<pre>Sorry to be such a bother, but this is not going as smoothly as I&nbsp;had
hoped.</pre>

<pre>I edited, via the rescue disk, the /etc/passwd file for my root entry to</pre>

<pre>root::0:root:/root:/bin/bash. Now, when I&nbsp;reboot, when I&nbsp;try to log in
as root, I am prompted for a password. Of course</pre>

<pre>this is what I&nbsp;was trying to avoid in the first place. Is not my entry for
root in etc/passwd correct to allow me</pre>

<pre>to log on without a password?</pre>

<pre>Thanks for any help,</pre>

<pre>Dick Fell</pre>

<pre>--&nbsp;

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: more help needed with changing root password
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:53:50 GMT

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:52:22 -0500, richard noel fell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>--------------176DA4184BD1239EA0E9F6AA
>
>Sorry to be such a bother, but this is not going as smoothly as I had hoped.
>
>I edited, via the rescue disk, the /etc/passwd file for my root entry to
>
>root::0:root:/root:/bin/bash. Now, when I reboot, when I try to log in as root, I am
>prompted for a password. Of course
 root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
>this is what I was trying to avoid in the first place. Is not my entry for root in
>etc/passwd correct to allow me
>
>to log on without a password?

Do you use LILO? If so,
- reboot and hit the left alt key to get the LILO boot commandprompt
- hit the tab key to get a list of boots known to LILO
- locate the one that boots your Linux. It's likely called 'linux' but
  it may not be.
- enter the command 'linux single' to the command prompt
  (substitute the name of your linux boot for the word 'linux' above;
   eg. if your menu shows RedHat as the os, then 'RedHat single' is
   the command)
This should boot you into single-user mode, which (in most distros)
makes you root, and does not require the password.

Now, at the shell command prompt, run the password program (passwd) to
set the root password properly.

Finally, at the shell command prompt, 'init 5' or 'init 3' or whatever
to get into multiuser mode.

From: "Major Dondo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: small linux distro
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:17:57 +0500

I need to put a small linux distro on an old laptop.  I can get tom's
disk running with network support, so all I need now is an ftp install of
a distro that is smaller than, say 100 MB, has Xwindows (I need a
graphical browser) and supports PCMCIA for my network card.

The lap top has 24 MB of ram, and it's a 486DX4.

Any suggestions welcome!

TIA,

--Yan