On 19 December 2015 at 21:28, Russell King - ARM Linux
<li...@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> [...]
>   the data side is actually in?  Could this be why (eg) sdhci-esdhc-imx.c
>   has this:
>
>         /* FIXME: delay a bit for card to be ready for next tuning due to
> errors */
>         mdelay(1);
>
>   And how many more such _hacks_ are working around similar problems?
>
> - The unaligned buffer handling is a total waste of resources in its
>   current form.  We DMA map, sync, and unmap it on every transfer,
>   whether the buffer is used or not.  For MMC/SD transfers, these will
>   be coming from the VFS/MM layers, which operate through the page
>   cache - hence the vast majority of buffers will be page aligned.
>   Performance measurements on iMX6 show that this additional DMA
>   maintanence is responsible for a 10% reduction in read transfer
>   performance.  Switch this to use a DMA coherent mapping instead, which
>   needs no DMA maintanence.
>
> - sdhci_adma_table_post() is badly coded: we walk the scatterlist
>   looking for any buffers which might not be aligned (which can be a
>   rare event, see above) and then we only do something if we find an
>   unaligned buffer _and_ it's a read transfer.  So for a write transfer,
>   this scatterlist walking is a total waste of CPU cycles.  Testing the
>   transfer direction is much cheaper than walking the scatterlist.
>   Re-organise the code to do the cheap test first.
>
> - There are two paths to identical DMA unmapping code (the code around
>   dma_unmap_sg()) in sdhci_finish_data() and its child function
>   sdhci_adma_table_post().  Trivially simplify this duplication.
>
> - Move sdhci_pre_dma_transfer() so we avoid needing to declare it.
>
> - Do the same thing with sdhci_prepare_data() and sdhci_pre_dma_transfer()
>   as with sdhci_finish_data() and sdhci_adma_table_post().
>
> - Fix the mess that is the data segment host_cookie handling.  The
>   existing code seems like a candidate for the obfuscated coding prize!
>   Four patches address this, turning it into something much easier to
>   understand, which then allows (finally)...
>
> - The DMA API leak which occurs when we have mapped the DMA buffers in
>   sdhci_prepare_data() and an error occurs early on in the processing
>   of a request.
>
> - A final change (mentioned above) which fixes a prior commit for
>   Armada 38x using sdhci-pxav3.c, found while trying to get the higher
>   speed modes working on these SoCs.  Clearly the existing code is
>   broken, this at least resolves some of the breakage by allowing the
>   correct high-order SDHCI capabilities through.
>
> All these patches are resulting from _only_ today; I'm sure more will
> be coming in the forthcoming weeks, as all I seem to have to do is
> give code a little shake and _lots_ of bugs appear.  Despite this being
> a series of 17 patches, it does not yet solve _all_ the problems I've
> found so far on iMX6 with SDHCI.
>
> I've tested these changes on iMX6 at UHS speeds, and Armada 388 SoCs
> at HS speeds so far.  Others should test them.

Thanks for the detailed change-log, really helpful!

I have reviewed the patches, and found only a few minor things.

Related to patch1, I noticed that the callers of
mmc_of_parse_voltage() don't check the return value. Adopting my
suggested change to patch1, would enable them to be able to check the
return code.

Kind regards
Uffe