All of this is for X. I use it either locally with a a konsole window configured for minimum border, or remotely with ssh.

INHO xdosemu woks much better then dosemu once you have Xfonts installed. With VGA in graphic mode it is much worse.

If you are not interested, I will seve the translation and wait for another volunteer ;-)

It would be nice if two sizes of fonts (14 as historical and for small 800x600 screens and a bigger one) in a few codepages, as present in the xfonts-terminus-dos project were incorporated in dosemu. So that it would be done once and for all...

Alain

Larry Alkoff escreveu:
Alain M. wrote:
Ok here goes some part of it (I will sent it to the list so that others can contribute).

Some of it I have for compiling from svn and some por post installing, so please forgive me if it may get confusing.

--------------
Step 1) You will need a program to convert the fonts from the debian project. The program is pcftobdf available, from <http://www.tsg.ne.jp/GANA/S/pcf2bdf/>

tar -xzf pcf2bdf-1.04.tgz
# modify the Makefile.gcc (some line) from:
CC        = gcc
CC        = g++
# install
make -f Makefile.gcc clean
sudo make -f Makefile.gcc install
# it would be nice if it could be uploaded somewhere in dosemu site already corrected :)

-------------
Step 2) Get the VGA fonts from project debian/terminus
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/xfonts-terminus-dos
# downlaos the file: xfonts-terminus-dos_4.12-1_all.deb
# it is a newer version now...

# I don't know how to open it command line, so I opened it with ARK,
# and into the directory data.tar.gz I chose the file I want, in this case
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf.gz
#and drag it to somewhere, they are identified as: inthis case 14 pixels heigh and cp850.
# unzip:
gunzip -c ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf.gz >ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf
# now you need to convert it to dosemu format:
/usr/local/bin/pcf2bdf -o vga8x14-cp850.bdf ter-u14b_ibm850.pcf
/usr/local/bin/pcf2bdf -o vga10x20-cp850.bdf ter-u20b_ibm850.pcf
# I rename the font to a more dos-like name

Step 3) Install the font with dosemu compiled from source
# Copy the bdf file to the etc directory in dosemu
# Copy the second line of the .bdf file to etc/dosemu.alias like this:
vga8x14-cp850  -xos4-Terminus-Bold-R-Normal--14-140-72-72-C-80-IBM-CP850
vga10x20-cp850 -xos4-Terminus-Bold-R-Normal--20-200-72-72-C-100-IBM-CP850
# delete the directory /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts
# and reinstall dosemu compilado compiled from fonts

----------
or) for dosemu in rpm (I don't find good annotations)
# install and reconfigure manualy the fonts in /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts/
# you also need to edit manualy the alias file in the font directory
# similar to step 3 above
# reconfigur X to recognize the fonts
mkfontdir /usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts
xset fp rehash
# but this needs .pcf.gz files, dosemu's install creates them
# I will have to look more if I can find how to do it.

I hope this is a good start,
Alain

Alain I'm going to bottom post my entire reply so as not to get confused. First let me ask if you are speaking about running xdosemu in an xterm as I do or are you talking about running dosemu in a terminal (no X)?

I was able to obtains fonts ready to go by
apt-get xfonts-dosemu

This installs the fonts in
/usr/local/share/dosemu/Xfonts

Those fonts are:
vga10x20-cp866.pcf.gz  vga11x19.pcf.gz  vga8x19.pcf.gz    vga.pcf.gz
vga10x24.pcf.gz        vga12x30.pcf.gz  vga-cp866.pcf.gz

 From there it was just a case of running the programs:
mkfontdir - create an index of X font files in a directory
fc-cache -f -v
xset - set user preferences for X
   see xset fp rehash to reset the font paths to current value.

I'm not sure why you are compiling stuff.

Larry