On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:16:29 -0800 (PST)
"Bryan J. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hence why I wrote a brief blog article here:
> 'What is x86-64? "Long Mode" memory model ...'
> http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-x86-64-long-mode-memory-model.html

Thanks for that write-up.  It's a truly fascinating read and I can now say that
I know a great deal more about the basics of what's going on here than I knew a
few minutes ago.

> In a nutshell, 48-bit (PAE 52-bit) addressed "Long Mode" is focused
> on being 32-bit (PAE 36-bit) i486 TLB (i686 PAE) compatible.  But
> there is no reason why it can't support i386 Virtual86 modes either.
> The patch allows Virtual86 programs to run on a "Long Mode" kernel
> just as fast as they do on i486 or i686 PAE kernels.

Is there any disadvantage to this patch?  Is there any reason why it should not
or can't be included in the mainstream kernel?  It sounds to me very much like
a winning idea -- so why don't we see it built-in by default?  I'm thinking
there mus t be a downside that I'm not aware of....