  Re: Squid diagnostics and konfiguration ("andy")

From: Michel Catudal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Want to do direct install of Redhat 5.2 via FTP since I have
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:28:17 +0000

THE DUNGEONS OF DOOOOOOOOOOM wrote:

> P.S:
> PLEASE DO NO TELL ME TO USE ANOTHER VERSION OF UNIX SINCE I KINDA AM
> USED TO RH LINUX. ALSO, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO PARTITION MY HARD
> DRIVE SINCE MY 75. GB HARD DRIVE IS NEARLY FILLED UP. I PLAN TO
> INSTALL REDHAT LINUX 5.2 TO MY OLDER 730 MB HARD DRIVE SO PLEASE DO
> NOT BRING IN 7.5 GB INTO THE PICTURE UNLESS YOU ARE GONNA GIVE ME A
> FREE CD-RW DRIVE FIRST !!!

The only logical solution is to repartition your 7.5G hard drive.
Toss that old shit and buy partition magic. You'll find it to
be the best buy you will have done in years. If you could afford
to buy a 7.5G I'm sure you can afford the $50 or so for partition
magic and $1.99 for RedHAT 5.2.

--
Tanné du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
Alors essayez donc Linux ou OS/2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chee Choon Cheng (remove "removethis" to e-mail me))
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Get ip-up and ip-down to "echo" some information
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 07:29:25 GMT

In RH 5.2, I am trying to get ip-up.local and ip-down.local scripts
run by pppd to echo something. From the man pages, I know that these
scripts are run with output to /dev/null. Is there a simple way to
work around this, so that these scripts can display some information,
like connection speed, etc.?

I have tried using > /dev/console for each "echo", but it didn't work.

Example:
echo "====================================" >/dev/console
echo "Local IP Address   : $4 " >/dev/console
echo "Remote IP Address  : $5 " >/dev/console
echo "Link Speed         : $3 " >/dev/console
echo "====================================" >/dev/console

My /dev/console is as below:

crw--w--w-   1 root     root       4,   0 Jan  5 15:14 /dev/console

Thx!

Choon-Cheng Chee
=========================
chee at mail-me dot com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
=========================
* Watch my return address! Editing required !*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Which programs to use for building a fully functional dial-out and
dial-in gateway using Linux?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:22:34 GMT

The program for ip masquarade are ipfwadm.
However, in the future 2.2 linux, the ipfwadm will be change to ipchain.

The ipfwadm allow both IP filtering and masquarde to be configure.
Another alternative are NAT - Network address translation.

To create a functional linux IP gateway, you must have the following packages
install
1. PPP server - to allow connection from client
2. ipfwadm or NAT - ip masquarade and ip filtering
3. DNS - a cache DNS server to speed up internet name lookup. However you can
open the DNS port using ip masquarade to allow user query the external DNS
server
4. Squid - Proxy server to speed up client access to internet.

1 and 2 is a must. all the above available for all linux distribution.
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:17:19 +0100
From: "Wout Verschueren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: serial line configuration in RH linux 5.2

Hi,

I have the latest RH Linux distribution (5.2) installed on my Compaq
Pressario desktop in dual boot with Windows98.
In win98 i can use my internal modem (a Compaq 56k FDi) without any problem.
The modem is connected to COM2 with standard irq (3) and memory (2f8).

When i try to use my modem under Linux i can't even get an answer from it.
First thought it was a pnp modem but the pnpdump tool gives no information.
(No interface found on addresses)
Using minicom the modem does not even answer on AT commands.
Using kermit, i got an error "no terminal line" when i give the command "set
line /dev/ttyS1"

Do i have to enable serial connections explicitly in the kernel or anything
else?

Did i forgot to configure something?

--
Wout Verschueren - Origin Belgium
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Gardner)
Subject: Re: Telnet login
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 08:25:51 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 13:29:01 +1100, Lei Miao wrote:
>If you are using Redhat, by default, root is NOT permitted telnet
>access to the box. This was done for good reasons. If you wish to
>have telnet access for root, you need to modify the /etc/securetty
>file. It lists the tty's on which root is allowed telnet access. So, you
>may wish to list ttyp? in that file.
>
>However, the safer way to do this is to telnet into the box using
>a normal user account and then su to gain root access.

Or better yet, use ssh instead of telnet. Telnet transmits the
passwords in the clear and is inherently insecure.

--
Jerry Gardner     | "Bill Clinton has all the steely resolve resolve
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | of a kamakaze pilot on his 37th mission."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: leafnode - Segmentation fault
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:16:33 +0100

>From the Leafnode README file:

Problem: fetch crashes with a segmentation fault.

Solution: Your groupinfo file may be corrupt. Again, this can be repaired
          by starting fetch with the -f parameter. Make sure that you have
          sufficient disk space available on the partition in which
          /var/spool/news resides.

--
Anders Gulden Olstad @ Brinkley | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
RedHat 5.2 Linux kernel 2.0.36  | "Penguins are generally nice creatures"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Pohl)
Subject: Post handshake PPP problem. (RH 5.2)
Date: 5 Jan 1999 08:20:31 GMT

Hi.

My modem's OK.  It dials OK.  It handshakes (like the typical handshake noise
for 33.6) OK.  But after that, I don't know what goes on.  Usernet will stay
yellow, it redials, and tries again.  I tested this with Minicom, and it
would start a mode where strange characters would be sent in small clusters.
I have made the chat using linuxconf like:

Expect:         ogin:
Send:           <login>
Expect:         assword:
Send:           <password>
Expect:         lip-server>
Send:           ppp
Expect:         TIMEOUT
Send:           5
Expect:         ~--

I don't know if I need to bother with PAP authentication, because I don't know
what that is.  I can't seem to find any logs that would tell me what happened
to the connection... what are the names of them?  If I'm leaving anything out,
feel free to ask me anything else since I'm sure I'm not telling the whole
story.

Thanks.

Andy

------------------------------

From: Glenn Butcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone doing Dial-On-Demand?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:40:26 -0800

1.  Get working ppp-on and ppp-off scripts going, to include a chat
script that works with your ISP

2.  the diald-examples man page says the rest.

I've been using it for about a year now, works great!  Trying to debug a
strange ICMP connection that keeps the line up, but otherwise works
fine.

Glenn Butcher

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: printing from Win95 to linux printer
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:34:24 GMT

Install  SAMBA. Samba allow you to share printer between Linux and windows
network. E.g. you can print something from Linux to Windows printer and vice
versa.

what you need to do is
1. Install Samba
2. setup the samba configuration file - smb.conf
3. run testparm to check samba syntax.

There is tools in caldera to let you configure samba easily. Sometimes, the
samba are call "LAN manager support" in Linux. I am using Redhat 5 in the
office, and have no problem doing the printing between Linux and Windows
machine.

From: "John Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA Linux to NT
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:08:23 GMT

Have you setup you encrypted password file yet?  NT requires it.

John T. Morris, Jr.
Carolina Information Technologies, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: ppp and dynamic dns allocation
Date: 5 Jan 1999 04:00:10 GMT

Filip Hosten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,

: Is there a place in the ppp-scripts to indicate dynamic dns allocation?

: Normally each time I dialup to a different isp the /etc/resolv.conf has
: be changed. I know  that Kppp is doing the change but somethimes i have
: problems with kppp ( i know I am still using kde b4)

: Filip
: --
:     Filip Hosten, Dep. : VE119, Alcatel Design Centre Antwerp Belgium,
:     Internat. phone : +32 3 240 7769,
:     Alcanet phone : 2 605 7769, Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Have you tried Ezppp?  It handles dynamic addressing, and multiple
accounts.  It only runs under X, so that might be a drawback.

------------------------------

From: "John Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setting up Linux firewall with Address Redirecting
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:18:25 GMT

I want to setup a Linux box (RedHat 5.2) to be used as a firewall for our
company.  I can setup up the NICs and get the firewall working but I want
email went to our server to be redirected to the private IP address of our
email server.  Here is a diagram:

                                  +------------+
+-----------------+
Incoming Email ---> |  firewall  |----------------------> | email server |
                                  +-----------+
+-----------------+
         207.52.34.56                 198.162.0.1
198.162.0.23
                      (public)                   (private)
(private)

Basiclly, I want all packets on port 25 to be redirected to the private
address of the email server.
Can anyone help?

Thankx,
John Morris

------------------------------

From: Kenneth Cope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.modems.cable
Subject: Re: mediaone cable and small home lan questions
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 23:21:20 -0500

I'm actually running off MediaOne with a setup similar to what your talking
about:  Here's my setup:

Dual PPro 180 running 2.2.0pre4 - was Stampede distribution
1 BayNetworks FA-310 10/100 NIC (DEC 21140 based)
1 D-Link DE-350 10/100 NIC (DEC 21140 based)

The D-Link card connects to the LanCity cable modem provided by MediaOne, while
the Bay card connects to my internal network.  The Linux box is IP Masquerading
and works extremely well.  You'll have to add in a line in your boot config (I
use lilo) to get Linux to recognize the extra NIC card.

append="ether=11,0xf400,eth0 ether=10,0xf080,eth1"

The code is very stable and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.  It has
great performance and I think my Windows box actually gains quite a bit from
being firewalled behind the Linux box as the Microslop networking code is
really pitiful.  The box is pretty heavily loaded running mail, web, quake, and
rc5des constantly.  I'd actually reccomend it over FreeBSD as Linux seems a
less fussy, supportable and more feature rich than any of the open source BSDs.

MediaOne will not do installs with Linux, so it's best to have them just setup
on a Windows box and leave.  If you mention Linux the install techs will stare
at you blankly.  They use the MAC address off the card for authentication
purposes so whatever MAC address they record is what you'll have to stick
with.  I compiled up DHCP version 2 available at http://www.isc.org and use it
for aquiring my IP addressing information at boot time.  The default
configuration files for Linux that come with the distribution work fine.  You
may have to add in a route for 255.255.255.255 on the interface for DHCP to
work properly as a client.  I found it necessary to completely bring up the
MediaOne connected interface before configuring the internal NIC.  After that
things work(ed) great!

You also may want to look at upgrading your firewall box, especially if you
plan on running other services on it.

Ken

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:59:19 -0600
From: Todd Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux -> windows -> internet

i have an ethernet network set up between my linux box and windows95. I
know i should make my linux box connect to the net instead of windows,
but right now it's linux -> windows -> net. so my two computers can ping
each other, windows can telnet to linux, linux can get to windows (with
a rejection, but at least it can get there). I suppose i need a proxy
server on win95, so any suggestions on how to do that? if you insist on
making me get linux to dial the net, i would need help on setting up
either a Diamond Multimedia SupraExpress 336i PnP Voice modem or a
NewCom 56ifxvC Internal Voice modem. either way, i'd like help. thanks.

--
_______________
Todd Smith

------------------------------

From: "andy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Squid diagnostics and konfiguration
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 10:09:08 GMT

You wrote:

> I am working in  a small company using an ISDN dialup for our LAN to
> connect to the internet. However we have got the impression, that the
> squid is dialling out too often, thus raising our expenses.

What makes you think it's squid. Isn't it more likely to be your Mail
server software, i.e. Sendmail, or possibly your DNS set-up. Try not
starting Squid and seeing how often you connect.

Rgds
Andy