Linux-Networking Digest #782, Volume #10          Wed, 7 Apr 99 20:14:08 EDT

Contents:
  HELP kppp ("Brian D. Klar")
  Re: Sendmail Protection (mist)
  Re: Compex ethernet adapter (Mark Hahn)
  Re: Samba and VMWARE (Bryan Campbell)
  Re: Machine name themes - what do you use? ("Andrew Paryzek")
  Re: Keine Internet-Verbindung mit Linux (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: Machine name themes - what do you use? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't ping machines on local network! (Danny)
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (Johan Kullstam)
  Automount and smbmount (Daniel Charlebois)
  Re: Sendmail Protection ("Eugene")
  Re: Routing / IP Masquerading Question (Ron Watkins)
  Routing Problem with diald (Voglhuber)
  Re: Sendmail Hell (Erik Hensema)
  Re: Configure the TELES 16.3 ISDN card (Erik Hensema)
  Re: BT Speedway ISDN and RH 5.2... still trying... need help! (Seyed Razavi)
  port forwarding ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't browse remote Win clients using IP-Masq ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Same passwords for telnet and http ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  free computer9 (webmaster)
  free computer12 (webmaster)
  Re: IP-Tunnel between linux and cisco (Job Eisses)
  Re: Access other than root???? (Jim Roberts)

From: "Brian D. Klar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP kppp
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:17:13 -0400

I am really new to Linux (RH 5.2) I installed KDE's Kppp but I have a
problem with it not connecting properly. I get the connection, my ISP takes
my username and password fine. I see my ISP's side showing a valid
connection and that PPP has started there. When KDE starts ppp, it drops the
connection, however the status window says it is logging into the network.
And I hear my modem dial again, but of course nothing happens. I have to
cancel and then I can retry with the same results..

Apr  6 21:47:17 localhost pppd[1843]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
Apr  6 21:47:17 localhost pppd[1843]: Using interface ppp0
Apr  6 21:47:17 localhost pppd[1843]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Apr  6 21:47:19 localhost chat[1857]: alarm
Apr  6 21:47:19 localhost chat[1857]: Failed

I believe I am just a hair away from getting this thing working properly.
Any help would be appreciated.

Brian D. Klar
Cert. Video Eng.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sendmail Protection
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:46:38 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] scribed to us that -

>I am running Sendmail on a linux server running Caldera Openlinux Lite
>1.2 - what measures do I need to take to make sure that my server
>can't be used for mail relaying etc.

Upgrade to the latest version.  8.9.3 I think.  Relaying is off by
default.  For more protection you could firewall off your box to places
that you don't want to give connects via smtp to.

--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compex ethernet adapter
Date: 7 Apr 1999 17:05:16 GMT

> vendor id=11f6, device id = 9881

[~]$ cd /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/
[net]$ grep 0x11f6 *.[hc]
hp100.c:#define PCI_VENDOR_ID_COMPEX 0x11f6
ne2k-pci.c:     {0x11f6, 0x1401, "Compex RL2000"},

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:27:54 -0500
From: Bryan Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba and VMWARE

I have installed it with NT 4.0, DOS, 95, and 98 . . . mounted samba
volumes and printed to samba printers.

Works great.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Paryzek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
vmsnet.networks.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.os2.networking.server,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Machine name themes - what do you use?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:23:45 -0500

How about naming after alcoholic beverages ... beer, vodka, rum, gin,
sambuca.

Or sci-fi characters: chewbacca, scotty, bones, mulder.

Or spices:  cinnimon, ginger, parsley, scary, baby ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Keine Internet-Verbindung mit Linux
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:04:40 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header !]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Klaus-Dieter Zschummel) writes:

>Hallo Leute,

>ich benötige mal Hilfe zu o.g. Problem.

[...]

Then try a german group, please.

No information about your setup, no help.

>Ich hoffe dies ist die richtige Newsgroup ich habs sicherheitshalber auch in
>"comp.os.linux.setup" und "comp.os.linux.answer" gepostet.

[...]

Argh.

a) Don't multipost the same article, use crossposting instead
b) Your article would only be appropriate in _one_ col.*
   group , anyways.
c) col.answers is a moderated group for periodical postings (FAQs
   and thelike) only.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

Crossposted-To:
vmsnet.networks.misc,microsoft.public.windowsnt.domain,comp.unix.solaris,comp.os.os2.networking.server,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:01:38 GMT

i use names of hotels in my home network, so far i have two in domain
hotels,,,, the fast new win98/linux box is named ramada-inn.hotels and
the slower 686MMII machine with solaris 2.7 is named motel6.hotels.

i have also used keyboard keys or symbols like backslash, tilde,
spacebar etc....

billz

------------------------------

From: Danny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't ping machines on local network!
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 00:52:02 +1000

OS: Red Hat 5.2
NICs : D-link DFE-530TX

Hello,
I've been trying to get my two linux machines to ping each other whole
afternoon but without success. ifconfig shows that eth0 on both of these
machines are activated (one inet addr is 192.168.0.1, the other is
192.168.0.2) but they can't seem to communicate with one another through
the NIC. route -n returns
Destination 192.168.0.0    gateway 0.0.0.0  netmask 255.255.255.0  iface
eth0
which seems ok??
I've also tried to ping one of the linux machines with win98 but same
story. Please help!!!!

Regards,
Danny.

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Date: 07 Apr 1999 16:54:24 -0400

John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Jon-o Addleman wrote:
> >
> > Once upon a  Tue, 6 Apr 1999 12:43:13 +0200, "Jan Johansson"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Correct. Not a bug, that was the way MS wanted it.. and it makes sense to me
> > >atleast.
> >
> > Really? Why would they want it to be impossible to save your password
> > unless a particular protocol was in place? It makes llittle sense to
> > me... the dial up networking has nothing to do with the network
> > protocol that it uses. Please explain this to me!
>
> Perhaps to encourage you to use their proprietary protocol
> instead of other, more open protocols?

microsoft wants you to run linux.  really!

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Daniel Charlebois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Automount and smbmount
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 16:22:53 -0500

==============D44D0BD61418ED0DE5EE7CFA

Anyone know how to use smbmount with autofs?  smbmount works
fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to get autofs to
mount a smb file system.

Daniel
==============D44D0BD61418ED0DE5EE7CFA

begin:vcard
n:Charlebois;Daniel
tel;fax:+847-632-3727
tel;work:+847-632-6709
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Motorola - CDMA Systems Division
adr:;;1475 W. Shure Dr.;Arlington Heights;IL;60004;US
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;28704
fn:Daniel Charlebois
end:vcard

From: "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 16:30:39 GMT

It should be set up that way already. Try using this server as an SMTP
server from some remote machine (not connected to the server directly). The
mail should bounce back.

--
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler
"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft's slogan

news:7efrt6$dg2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Ron Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Routing / IP Masquerading Question
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 13:24:38 -0700

Well, it sounds like the web server is on a masqueraded port.  That is, it's
on, say, 192.168.0.100.

Your linux router is masquerading and showing that machine as, say, 1.2.3.4.

When another masqueraded machine tries to connect to
www.yourinternalwebserver.com, it gets the answer back 'address 1.2.3.4'.  So
it sends those packets to the internal interface of the linux router; the
linux router masquerades them, forwards them to the other interface and then
realizes that it needs to forward them back to the internal interface again.
No wonder it's getting confused.  Probably it just drops the packet because it
thinks there's a routing loop.

You probably need two DNS servers, one internal and one external, with
different numbers for www.yourinternalwebserver.com.

<<RON>>

From: Voglhuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Routing Problem with diald
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 08:00:53 +0200

I am running a LAN with 192.168.200.*. On the machine with
192.168.200.10 is a modem connected which should be connected on demand
to the internet.
But if I start diald, lets say the network is dead. For example I cant
ping form an other computer the one with 192.168.200.10.

This are the routes when I dont start diald, then everthing works fine.
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.200.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0      114
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        7
lo

But if I start diald:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
default         *               255.255.255.255 UH    1      0        0
sl0
192.168.200.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0      114
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        7
lo
default         *               0.0.0.0         U     1      0        0
sl0

where is the problem?
thanks in advance
george

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erik Hensema)
Subject: Re: Sendmail Hell
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:18:00 +0200

The Lone Scribe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>Erik Hensema wrote in message ...
>>Create /etc/service.switch:
>

>It would probably be better if he installs or configures DNS instead, which
>would be good experience for the future.

No, if you're offline, dns doesn't work (except for the local dns server), and
sendmail likes to resolve recipient domains even when using a queue. So it'll
hang until the dns query times out.

--
Erik Hensema ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erik Hensema)
Subject: Re: Configure the TELES 16.3 ISDN card
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:26:06 +0200

Try www.wurtel.demon.nl (maybe only in dutch, I don't know) or
www.isdn4linux.de/org

From: Seyed Razavi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,btinternet.linux,de.alt.comm.isdn4linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: BT Speedway ISDN and RH 5.2... still trying... need help!
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:21:13 +0000

Not too worry I finally did it!  Thanks everyone who helped.

Goodbye Windoze

Good riddance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: port forwarding
Date: 7 Apr 1999 16:36:19 GMT

I've got a LAN setup with IP masquerading. Obviously I can't get
people to access one of the masked boxes from outside the local
network. CanI somehow set up some kind of port forwarding so i can
tell people to access my.ip.address:port and get sent to
192.168.0.2:whatever?
Thanks in advance!

Ollie

Please remove the YWADVA before replying by email.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't browse remote Win clients using IP-Masq
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 17:33:17 GMT

I'm having the same problem. I have pretty much the same set-up, and I also
can NOT see shares on the office network using either the Win systems on my
home network OR smbclient directly from the linux box.

I tried adding proxyarp to the pppd command but this did not fix the problem.
My win98 Dial up Networking for the office dial-in has DNS set to be obtained
automatically,  I thought proxyarp was the linux equivalent, but I guess not.
I also added the IP address of the Primary Domain Controller in resolv.conf as
a nameserver.  Still no luck.

I was however able to dial in directly from the Win98 system, and (sometimes)
get all the office computers AND home computers to show up in network
neighborhood.  This defeats the whole purpose of the linux system and IP
Masquerade though.

If you are able to get your set-up working they way you want, please post a
reply or send me an e-mail describing how you did it.
Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Same passwords for telnet and http
Date: 7 Apr 1999 17:36:48 GMT

Is there a way that I can setup apache's .htaccess file to be the same
one that the system uses for authentication (/etc/passwd). What I want
to achieve, is a directory on the server only accessible to people who
have telnet access to the box.

Would just specifying the password file in the .htaccess as
/etc/passwd do the trick?

Regards,
Ollie

Please remove the XHWKLP before replying by email.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (webmaster)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,comp.lang.c,comp.lang.c++,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.javascript,comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.vms,comp.periphs.printers,comp.software.year-2000,comp.sys.amiga.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.sports,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: free computer9
Date: 7 Apr 1999 17:34:18 GMT

Free Computer at http://giveaways.arecool.net

DELL IS GIVING AWAY 500 FREE PENTIUM 500 Computers to celebrate their 5th
anniversary.

Hurry and if you are one of the first 500 people you win a new computer!!!

------------------------------

From: Job Eisses <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP-Tunnel between linux and cisco
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 01:08:58 +0200

Shai Peretz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone tried to configure a GRE IP-tunnel between a RedHat 5.2 linux
> (kernel 2.2.5) and a cisco router?
>
> any directions?

GRE is mentioned in
ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html
                                                        -job

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Roberts)
Subject: Re: Access other than root????
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 19:33:08 GMT

> I have read all entries having to do with this to no avail....I've also
> read the pppd man pages.
> I use X-ISP to dial in and when I am not the root user I get the error
>
> pppd returned 1;
>
> then it stops. HELP PLEASE! I know I shouldn't be using root to dial
> into my ISP but I can't seem to use any other accounts.
>
> -JazzyRick

Richard,

While you didn't provide quite enough infomation to be exact about
an answer, it would seem that permission's are the problem.

I would probably try putting the X-ISP binary, the PPP Damon in the same group,
say UUCP and adding your normal user to that group as well. This should
allow normal users, but only thoese added to the UUCP group to access
the dial-up.

--
Jim Roberts         Never enough time!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]