From: rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masquerading and FTP
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:50:15 GMT

set your transfers to passive mode

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Mead)
Subject: INN log file help
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:52:55 GMT

I gated a mailing list to INN using the mail2nes mini-howto perl
script...  Many articles get rejected.   The innd man page doesn't
describe this reason "437 EMP rejected (ph/l)" so I'm lost.  Can
anyone help me figure out what's happening?

Mar 25 09:27:46.241 - conan.ipat.com
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 437 EMP
rejected (ph/l)

-Alan Mead

------------------------------

From: Sven Utcke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help on PPP dial-up
Date: 25 Mar 1999 16:43:22 +0100

Farid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I did as David said, and it seems that the chat failed because the
> chat-script failed.  And then I went on with "more chat-ppp1" (at the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-script, which I get from the /var/log/messages)
> to check the chat-script (mine is named chat-ppp1) and there something
> like this:
>
> 'ABORT' 'KILL'
> 'ABORT' 'ERROR'
> 'ABORT' 'ETC'
> 'ABORT'.....
> 'ABORT'.....
> 'ABORT'.....
> 'ABORT'......
> " " OK

Well, I certainly hope there's more to come.  Maybe just post the
entire script?  So far, it looks alright (except for all the dots,
which I assume you added).

> Is there something wrong with my chat-script or is there something
> else.

Probably something else, but who knows --- the important bits are
missing...

> All that I know (from looking at the /var/log/messages) is that the
> connection failed because chat program failed, and the log messages is
> something like this:
>
> pppd (789): kernel 2.2.3 .....
> chat (790): failed
> ppp(792): exit

Here too:  Please post the entire information (without passwords, of
course), not an edited version.

Sven
--
 _       _   Lehrstuhl fuer Mustererkennung und Bildverarbeitung
| |_ __ | |__                                                        Sven Utcke
| | '  \| '_ \   phone:      +49 761 203 8274                   Am Flughafen 17
|_|_|_|_|_.__/   fax  :      +49 761 203 8262           79110 Freiburg i. Brsg.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~utcke

------------------------------

From: "Ken McCord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with IPX via PPP
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:40:59 -0500

Two things I can thing of off the top of my head...

Did you compile IPX support in the kernel?
Was the ppp program itself compiled with IPX support?  For example, I don't
think Red Hat 5.2 compiles in IPX support for ppp.

I'm doing the same thing right now with Debian 2.1.

Ken McCord

Eric Rossing wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I've been trying to configure my Linux machine as an IPX/PPP server.
>
>According to the IPX HOWTO (I have version 2.3, 6-May-1998), if I'm running
>the ipxd daemon, an IPX route to my ppp0 device should be automatically
>added when I establish the connection.
>
>My problem is that this not happen.
>
>After making my PPP connection from my Win95 client, I am able to telnet
>into the Linux box, so I can see that the ppp0 device is NOT added as an
IPX
>interface.  Furthermore, after I manually add it, if I try to find my
Novell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DNS related PPP problems.
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:13:02 GMT

Hi

When i attempt to connect to my ISP with RH5.1, the connection appears to take
place no problems, but for some reason the connection is not made the default
root. (ie. no DNS address's are decoded etc, the network device isn't even
available to access).

To solve the problem, I have to manually execute:

route add default dev ppp0

to assign the ppp connection as the default one for network access's (i have a
NIC connected to a local network too).

I cant seem to solve the problem, in the control panel options for the modem
(and linuxconf for that matter) it is set to register itself as the default
route upon connection but it DOESN'T. Note, there is no other default
connection present on the routing table, and the PPP connection appears upon
connection, but refuses to accept a single transmission until i make it the
default route.

ANY help appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (without _'s)

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:53:07 -0500
From: "Gary S. Mackay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: e-mail timeouts

Well, another case of everything working fine, then suddenly it doesn't.

I have a RedHat 5.2 (2.2.4 kernel) acting as my server/masq/diald/etc.
for a WinXX network. Last week, something happened that prevents me from
sending e-mail. I can browse the web, receive e-mail, ftp, telnet,
everything else, just fine. But when I send an e-mail from Netscape on
the NT box, Pine on the Linux box, where ever doesn't seem to matter, I
get timeout errors. It says it sent the message fine and is waiting for
a reply, then times out with a message about "smtp connection terminated
at remote end" or some such thing. All of the error messages from each
platform refer to a broken connection at the remote end. I've tried
manually connecting via ppp-on script and not running any of the
ipchains stuff, just connect straight and send a message from pine.
Still a problem. This would seem to point to something in the kernel or
pppd wouldn't it? BTW, I'm running the new ppp-2.3.6 version on the
2.2.x kernel patched to 2.2.4 which didn't fix it either.

- Gary

--
Edison Information Technologies
P.O. Box 554

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Frontpage and ASP under linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:12:37 +0000

Lee Sharp wrote:

> Harald Holzer wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>
> |What is the Real World (tm) ? (= MS World (c) !)
>
>    No, but in The Real World (tm), Micro$oft is damned popular.  <Irony
> intended>  You can make a lot of money supporting Micro$oft, and making
> Micro$oft work with other systems.
>
> |Thats right there are many Sites on the Internet coded with ASP, but I
> |thing its the right choice to get back on the open path, and change to
> |an alternativ free and open standart.
>
>    Since when have business people ever made The Right Choice (tm)?  If they
> listened to us, we would have solved the y2k problem back in the 80s!  :-)
> The fact is, the CEO was shown Front Page by his brother's, wife's, kid, and
> now he likes being able to work on the web page.  <not that he ever does...>
> People feel important if they can ask for something they think they know
> about.

So let him use FP. No need to install the proprietary, pre-compiled
extensions to use FP.
In my Experience, nearly everyone wanting FP support  in a business
environment don't use the few things that use the extensions.

> |The people the have used ASP have used an free MS tool that bounds the
> |people to MS platforms.
>
>    Three words...  You.  Preaching.  Choir.  But we have Samba.  When do we
> get "Pain in the ASP" for Linux?  :-)

search dejanews. There is a site for alpha (beta now?) work on this
project. IIRC it is InstantASP.

> |ASP pages consist of Basic code and the use of DCOM Elements where no
> |free Implementation exists. Because many of this standarts developt
> |from MS with many extenstion only for the MS Platforms.
>
> |Change to an free source  language gives us the ability to quicker
> |develop the features the we all need to do your work.
>
>    OK.  You tell everyone, while I wait here.  :-)  Micro$oft can out shout
> you.  The trick is, support it, and don't tell them.  Do you think I let
> everyone know the NT box they connect to for file sharing isn't NT?

This is indeed the way to go.

pud(proof)ding

__
Bill Anderson                                   Linux Administrator
MCS-Boise (ARC)                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: resolv+
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:17:31 -0500

Where can I find the network utility "resolv+", which is
refered to in some of the related networking HOWTO's
 I would also like to find some doc on "nslookup"

                        Thanks
                                Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Mead)
Subject: NW suite says Server Unknown when initializing connection
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:45:42 GMT

I'm having difficulty getting my NW network recognized.  What causes
the error on the subject and below?  How do I get the NW tools to
recoignize my NW server? Thanks!

[amead@conan 16pfonly]$ slist
slist: No server found in ncp_open
[amead@conan 16pfonly]$ pqlist
Logging into IPAT_SERVER as ADM
Password:
pqlist: Server Unknown when initializing
[amead@conan amead]$ nprint -q 8 crm.rule.out
Logging into IPAT_SERVER as ADM
Password:
nprint: Server Unknown when initializing connection

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: how to get getty to generate login
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 13:47:57 GMT

Farhad Farzaneh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Thanks for the suggestion. What I don't quite understand is that running
>getty has got to be one of the most popular things to do on a linux box.
> Doesn't everyone use this?

"Running a getty", yes. "Running uugetty", no. The preferred getty for
serial dialin/out lines is mgetty, at least, on the Linux side of the
world.

> The serial How-To barely mentions mgetty -

The very first revision of the Serial-HOWTO was published back in
1993. And mgetty does have a very good documentation that comes with
the source package. Read it.

>it primarily talks about getty and mentions using uugetty for serial
>input and output. Where can I find documentation about mgetty?

[...]

Install the mgetty+sendfax RPMs , or (preferred) get the sources and
recompile it for your own system. mgetty is highly configurable by
using plaintext config files. And it allows incoming PPP sessions, which
can not be done that easy with any other serial getty.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: PPP and kernel 2.2.3
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:33:20 -0600

Michael Okun ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I've got a big problem, recently I have upgraded my perfectly working system
: to the new kernel v2.2.3.  I have uncompressed the files in /usr/src
: directory and recompiled the kernel to include the support for SMP.
: Everything works like a charm, EXCEPT PPP!!!!!.
: From now on, every time I try to initiate ppp connection, I would get an
: error pppd died unexpectedly. I am using Caldera OL v1.3

Have you read linux/Documentation/Changes for the new kernel?

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: PPP connect problem, not for the faint-hearted
Date: 19 Mar 1999 08:53:42 -0600

john -r s ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Here it looks like you have ppp1 starting

: >Mar 17 13:09:59 czech kernel: registered device ppp0

Actually, no.  The RH script ifup-ppp says ppp1 but the actual connections
are all using ppp0.

<snip>

: That interface terminated and ppp1 is trying again.

: >Mar 17 13:12:53 czech chat[1351]: Failed (NO CARRIER)

: Modem is still tied up with ending ppp0???\

More likely the modem has a problem and is not correctly flushing it's
buffers, with the "NO CARRIER" message a leftover from the previous
hangup.

From: Jon Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,alt.netscape.buggy-products
Subject: Sometimes Netscape mail won't word wrap...
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:22:32 -0700

I get e-mail from some people that won't word wrap.

A single paragraph is one long line.  I have to scroll to the right to
be able to read the end of the lines.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Jon
--
Jon D. Slater                   QualComm Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     6150 Lookout Road

------------------------------

From: "Marc Priebee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.samba
Subject: Re: samba: strange authentication message
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:13:40 +1200

Are you using a NT machine to authenticate? If so I found something recently
in the
Samba archives as follows.....

9) NT Guest Access

What you are seeing is normal and deliberate.

MS Windows NT can be configured with the guest account enabled. When this is
the
case no logon attempt will ever fail. Instead NT will allow the user access
as
the guest account IF the username and / or password are incorrect. In a
situation
where Samba is using and NT system to validate user passwords, if the NT
server
guest account is enabled then a user logging on as "root" will always be
valdated
even if the password was incorrect. There is NO way that samba can tell from
the
reply packet from NT whether the password was correct and normal user
privilidge
has been granted, or whether the password was incorrect and the user has
been given
only "guest" privilidges.

In short, if we were NOT to do what we do, then there would be no way of
telling
whether or not the password server allows guest only logons. Were we to just
accept
the validation response from such a server the a user could easily gain
"root" level
access to a Samba server.

Now you would not really want us to change the current behaviour, would you?

> Hi folks ... I don't know if you have seen this, have corrected this yet
> or it is my configuration.
> I am using our company PDC for passwd authentication and it works OK
> except for one snag.
> The authentication process between the our Samba server & the PDC always
> includes one unsuccessful pass thru attempt.
>    This initial pass thru validation has an incorrect user password
> (1F1F1F1F......). A SMB reject from the PDC forces the Samba Svr to
> immediately send a second validation with the correct
> encrypted Bell Master Domain user password.
>    It would be nice to get rid of the first bad validation attempt.

<7d9mn0$5gq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IP forwarding w/ 2 network cards
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:33:11 GMT

The following question involves RedHat 5.2 w/ kernel 2.0.36.
I have set up a linux box between my internal network and my gateway to the
internet. IP forwarding is on.  Traffic is forwarded out on eth0, but is not
forwarded back in on eth1.  This has been tested with no firewall rules to
inhibit.  How do I check the system to make SURE BOTH network cards are
forwarding and ensure that they do. Thanks.

From: Bob Dunlea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: error 24 using bru over the network
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:30:52 -0500

Hi,
Heres one some of you may have seen before:

On a reahat 5.2 machine using bru 15 PE I attempted to remotly backup a
partition onto a 4mm DAT installed on a sgi computer.  This is what I
get as an error when I attempt to archive a test directory "temp" to a
sgi server called "ucmodl" and tape device "tape":

node1 2% bru -c -vv -f ucmodl:/dev/tape temp
bru: [W002] "ucmodl:/dev/tape": can't open archive: errno = 24, Too many
open files
bru: [A121] load volume 1 - press ENTER to continue on device
'ucmodl:/dev/tape'

The linux box bru works fine on local filesystem or archiving to a
file.  The sgi bru (ver 9.1) works fine as do other sgi's remotely using
the tape via bru.  The linux box has full permissions to the sgi ucmodl
and by checking the logs on ucmodl I don't see any access attempts by
the linux box (as I do when other computers are remotly accessing the
tape).   /etc/rmt exists on the sgi too.  I even added the following to
the brutab on the linux box:

# remote 4mm DAT drive
ucmodl:/dev/tape devname="Remote DAT on Ucmodl" \
size=2000MT bufsize=20k tape rawtape rewind \
ignoreclose minrewindtime=90 maxrewindtime=300 \
rmtsh="/bin/rsh" rmtsvr="/etc/rmt"

And obtain the same error i.e.:

node1 7% bru -c -vv temp
bru: [W002] "ucmodl:/dev/tape": can't open archive: errno = 24, Too many
open files

Help?! I don't need to use bru I guess but it _should_ work and its
driving me crazy : ).  Thanks for any help/advice.

Bob.

Bob Dunlea vegitates as [EMAIL PROTECTED] daily.

voicething: (513)556-9272
     smail: University of Cincinnati
            Dept. of Chemistry
            RM 800/811 Crosley Tower