From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: IP masq/ADSL modem?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:28:45 -0700

I think you would have to have 2 nic cards on the linux box, one for the
outside, with the real IP, and one for the internal lan, with the fake IP.
That's the way that I have mine setup at home, and it works great.

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: help: ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Protocol not availableerror
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:08:36 -0500

Sir Hoagy of the Marshlands wrote:

> I believe that on SuSE 6.1 (the version I'm running), you
> don't need ipfwadm.  We have ipchains, and that does the
> job nicely.
>
> I could be wrong, but I'm using ipchains and it works
> great as a firewall.
>
> ipfwadm is for the older kernels.  I could be wrong; anyone
> wanna venture a guess here?
  Yep, if you are using kernel 2.2.* and up, use ipchains instead. Look
for the newest masquerading howto and it will tell you what to do in a
small area towards the end.
--
Peter Buelow
Motorola GSM/Bedrock

------------------------------

From: Kevin Hillabolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network numbering question...
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:40:34 -0500

Does this look like it makes any sense?  Please respond to my email if
you can...

TIA,
Kevin Hillabolt

** To reply, remove "nospam" from the return address **

*** Network Design ***

Broadcast - 192.168.1.255
Network address - 192.168.1.0

Subnetting - 255.255.255.0  &  255.255.255.128

Win98
IP 192.168.1.4
Broadcast 192.168.1.255
Network 192.168.1.0
Subnet 255.255.255.128  (Notice the 128 on the end)

Win98
IP 192.168.1.3
Broadcast 192.168.1.255
Network 192.168.1.0
Subnet 255.255.255.128  (Notice the 128 on the end)

Linux  (two network cards, one machine....)
ETH1
IP 192.168.1.2
Broadcast - 192.168.1.255
Network  - 192.168.1.0
Subnet 255.255.255.128   (Notice the 128 on the end)

ETH0
IP 192.168.1.1
Broadcast - 192.168.1.255
Network  - 192.168.1.0
Subnet 255.255.255.0   (Notice the zero on the end)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brueckner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: YP Server error??
Date: 17 Jun 1999 10:59:18 GMT

root ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I've just been trying to get q NIS server running....  I'm using
: slackware 4.0 and it's going badly!
:
: The client works, I can connect to another server OK,  but if I run the
: server I'm trying to set up, I get a delay then "YP server error"...
:
: I can run ypserv in debug mode, and it appears to recieve the request,
: and start sending data, but then all goes west!  strace says that it
: gets sigchild at the point it stops or there abouts...  but I don't know
: if thats wrong or not!

well i had the same problem on suse 6.0 my. the problem was i compiled the
server with gcc 2.7.x (don't remeber exat version). when i switched to
egcs all prolems were gone. maybe you give it a try.

: Any suggesions greatly appreciated, please copy by email too, I'd hate
: to miss anything.....
:
: James
: (james @ fsck.co.uk)
:
:

cya

Holger
--
     _/\/\/\/\/\____________________________/\/\___________________
    _/\/\____/\/\__/\/\/\______/\/\__/\/\__/\/\__/\/\____/\/\/\/\_

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Murphy)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver?
Date: 23 Jun 1999 03:37:07 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse) writes:

>We are using chrony instead of xntpd; works better if you don't have
>a permanent link to the time server.  It should be available on
>contrib.redhat.com and mirrors.

Surely rdate (followed by setclock) is accurate enough for normal people?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Anthony Ung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Virata ATM drivers for Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:31:35 +0800

Does anyone out there know of any Virata 1025/2025 ATM drivers for Linux?

thanks.
Ant.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Heiner Kruener)
Subject: No locks available
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:09:47 GMT

Hi there!

Over nfs I'm trying to lock a file against concurrent use, but it seems as
if on kernel 2.2 upward this is no longer possible (on 2.0 it was a no-op).
I use (ripped from the source and simplified, original code is from hpux)
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
main () {
  char datei[]="test.lock";
  int fil=0;
  FILE *file;

  file=fopen(datei,"w");
  if(file) {
     fil=fileno(file);
     fputs("Locked",file);
     lseek(fil,SEEK_SET,0L);
     if(lockf(fil, 2, 6)) {
       perror("lock");
       fgets(datei[0],1,stdin);
     }
    fclose(file);
  }
}

The file test.lock gets created, but lockf fails with:lock: No locks available
but
  109  ?  S    0:00 /usr/sbin/rpc.ugidd
  269  p3 SW   0:00 (rpciod)
  270  p3 SW   0:00 (lockd)
get started.
I'v put 32767 into sunrpc/nlm_debug giving this log:
Jun 23 03:13:36 phobos kernel: NFS locking service started (ver 0.4).
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: nlm_lookup_host(c2610723, p=17, v=1)
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: host garbage collection
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: nlmsvc_mark_resources
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: creating host entry
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: creating host entry
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: nsm_monitor(194.97.7.35)
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: nsm_mon_unmon: rpc failed, status=-13
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: failed to monitor 194.97.7.35
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: clnt proc returns -37
Jun 23 03:14:19 phobos kernel: lockd: release host 194.97.7.35

Same result for using knfsd or regular nfsd2.2 (I *have* recompiled and installed
the new kernel)
I have even changed every dprintk in fs/lockd to a corresponding printk, but
in spite of many dprintk's in the source the logfile shows no more information,
seems as if most of the code in lockd never gets called.

/etc/exports for the filesystem in question is exported
/mnt    194.97.7.*(rw,no_root_squash,map_daemon)
/etc/hosts.allow is
ALL : ALL

>From the error message and from looking through the code in lockd I'd suspect
some identification/authentification failure, but I'm running this test
on 'mount phobos:/mnt /mnt1', the local machine phobos:194.97.7.35; so what?
Am I missing something so obvious that I can't see it?

See you
Heiner
--
Remember: The Game of Life has no 'restore' Button!
Busted once, Busted forever.

------------------------------

From: "ConceptWeb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCPD or ??? problem... Please help me!
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:57:47 -0400

Hi ya all!

I live in Montreal, Qc Canada and I'm using Vidéotron's cable-modem
service. Everything is working fine in Windows but I have some trouble in
Linux.

The ethernet card is a SMC bla bla bla but is recognized as a NE2000 PCI
by the kernel.

On the boot up, I see that the card gets recognized, I can see that when
eth0 gets initialized the modem leds blink but nothing works once booted.
I think I get my IP from a DHCP server but I can't get this thing
working! I've installed DHCPD and told Linux to start it up at boot time
but it's not there...

Is my problem with the SMC card? With my DHCPD config? What should I do?
Please help me I'm getting very frustrated!!!

Thanx, à la prochaine!

Pascal Parent

--
=============
 ConceptWeb

------------------------------

From: Luke Scharf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:50:35 -0400

How smart is the cable modem?  Will it broadcast all of your local
traffic on the cable network?

If the cable modem is smart, or if you use a conventional modem to
transmit, you could just run two IP addresses on your one ethernet
card.  There's a howto somewhere on how to set up a multi homed system.

Your two IP addesses would be whatever your ISP assigns, and an address
in the range one of the following ranges:
192.168.*.*, subnet mask 255.255.0.0
10.*.*.*, subnet mask 255.0.0.0

The other machines on your local networks should have addresses in the
same range.  you can pretty much assign them arbitrarily, just so long
as you don't use addresses at the beginning and end of the range.

Read the HOWTOs and good luck.

-Luke

From: Luke Scharf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 00:50:22 -0400

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Erbaugh)
Subject: Re: Network lockup problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:06:38 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:25:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
wrote:

>This suggestion definitely falls in the realm of 'far out', BUT<G>
>(My feelings will not be hurt if you consider it as such   heheh)
>
>There is an off chance that what you are seeing is a 'floating ground'
>problem.  That is where the two machines do not have a common ground
>and thus a charge can build up on one of them, if the 'floating
>ground' is just a high resistence one no shocks occur but the voltage
>differential that eventually builds can and does cause one or more to
>lock up and do other strange things.  As I said this is a long shot.
>Solution is to make sure that the machines have good grounding or that
>they are same AC circuit.  No UPS's do not solve the prob.

Monte,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don't think it is the problem.
Each machine is plugged into a separate UPS, but the two UPS's are
plugged into the same surge protector so they should have common
grounds. Also, I can run Windows NT Server on the server instead of
Linux and the lock up doesn't occur, so I think it is definitely
software and not hardware.

Thanks,
Mark

------------------------------

From: "Serafino Sini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba and Win98
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:05:32 GMT

What version of Samba are you running...make sure you are running the
latest.  Although it is possible that microsoft is upto no good with 98.....
Brian Witowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The problem isnt to do with encrypted passwords.  Even if it was, it
shouldn't
> bomb.  It should deny me access.  Actually it was a Word97 file.  I was
the
> owner etc.  Read my post again...I said I could drag it across the network
> the Win98 box then open it locally.  If it was a Linux executable it
wouldn't
> open very well, would it?  I am all set up for plain-text passwords.  It
just
> doesn't like opening them across the network sometimes.
>
> Brian
>
> Lew Pitcher wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:28:55 -0400, "the lobotomy was a success!!!"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >an article i read said that win98 sends encrypted passwords as a
default.
> > >samba likes plain-text passwords.  refer to support.microsoft.com
Article

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba Configuration
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 05:16:27 GMT

First, RedHat rules!!
Answer one:  The samba config file in Caldera should be in /etc
(/etc/smb.conf).  Cladera is different from RedHat, but Samba should be the
same.
Answer two:  I'm not sure if samba is this complex yet.  I don't even think you
can do what you're asking with Win9x, or even WinNT.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCPD or ??? problem... Please help me!
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:18:19 -0700

Hello,

Dhcpd deamon is actually server deamon not client, you need to look at man
pages for dhcpcd, which is a dhcp client deamon.

Good luck!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Network Neighborhood functinality
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:21:10 GMT

In article <7km74m$1ggp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mihail Baba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a program that has a similar functionality as
> Network Neighborhood does?

Yes, there's something called "LinNeighborhood" (GTK-based) which uses
Samba to provide similar functionality. I think the web site is:
http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/.

HTH...
Srix.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Subject: Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 23:29:45 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:00:03 GMT, Yuki Taga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I take issue with that statement.  I work with NT boxes that stay up for
>months and don't develop problems.

    I doubt that, IIRC WindowsNT is prone to the 49 day bug.  Yup, it is...
>From uptime.hexon.ch:

222 Burner boden Windows 95 49 days, 17:02m

223 Buster Jim Windows NT 49 days, 17:02m

224 Tobin DaGarf Windows NT 49 days, 17:02m

225 InitDB INIT Windows NT 49 days, 17:01m

226 InitMain INIT Windows NT 49 days, 17:00m

    In short, it is pretty much an impossibility for WinNT to stay up "months"
at a time since the plural of "months", even two Febs in a row, is 56 days,
not 49 days.

    Meanwhile, the top 5 machine range from 802 days to 473 days.

>No argument.  But so is NT, if you take the time to set it up properly.  If
>you expect it to run flawlessly out of the box, you're dreaming.

    I expect my Linux box to run flawlessly out of the box.  In fact,
yesterday I spent 8 hours installing Win98 on my laptop.  I installed Debian
on the same laptop in less time.  There is a difference there, though.  Win98
had the CAB files on the HD.  Debian downloaded the files over a 28.8k
*modem*.  Debian was up and running in less time over a *modem*.  But I
digress.  To get the CAB files onto the HD of that laptop I downloaded a 5
disc distribution of Linux, unARJed it, booted it (UMSDOS is fun, ne?) had
networking up in 1-2 minutes, FTPed the CABs over.  All of that in 15 minutes.
The other 7:45 of the time was getting Win98 to install.

>I never said I was defending M$.  But too often Linux people are simply
>blinded by M$ hatred.  And they toss out facts about M$ systems that were
>true several years ago, as if they were current pieces of information.  They
>aren't.  <g>

    The 49 day bug is quite recent, 2-3 months.  Uptime.hexon.ch confirms it
handily.  Almost everything that I say about M$ isn't old, it is current stuff
from the past 3-5 months and, generally, in my experience.

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen)
Subject: Re: Which ethernet module??
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 05:05:24 +0200

In article <uQub3.671$gE5.112598@PM01NEWS>,
"Monty Scroggins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am using an Addtron AEF320TX ethernet card under
>Linux 6.0.  I am attempting to install the ethernet module
>to enable the ethernet connection but cannot figure out
>which module might work with the Addtron card.
>Does anyone know the ethernet module to use??

http://www.addtron.com/zip/aef320tx.zip have a linux driver, _but_ i
belive this is the right one:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/test/via-rhine.c

anyway:

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/

Mvh Vidar Andresen

------------------------------

From: "Carl Robson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux Installation Questions
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:54:43 +0100

You might try Phat-linux http://www.phatlinux.com they have a windows
installable umsdos/slackware based system that seems to include support for
rpm. It even includes a start menu item that will reboot from windows,
straight into linux without seeing that ugly c:\   . As long as you have
lots of disk space and some unix experience and patience you Windows files
will be fine using this method.
Carl