Hi,
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:49:43 +0100, David Arendt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to reduce cleaner io, I am thinking it could be usefull to
> implement a parameter where you can specify the minimum free space. If
> this parameter is set, instead of normal cleaning operation, the cleaner
> would wait until there is less than minimum free space available and
> then run one cleaning pass (from first to last segment). If after that,
> there is again more than minimum free space available, continue waiting,
> otherwise run cleaning passes until there is more than minimum free
> space available.
>
> What would you think about this idea ?
>
> Bye,
> David Arendt

Well, I think this is one of what cleaner should take in.  It can
prevent cleanerd from moving in-use blocks too often unless the actual
free space is less than the threshold.

It may be the first thing to do since it's not difficult in principle.

I recognize there are more fundamental defects in the current cleaner:

 * It moves blocks in selected segments even if all of their blocks
   are in-use.

 * It doesn't give priority to reclaiming segments which have many
   obsolete blocks.

 * It keeps working without considering io workload of the time.

But, I'd rather take a quick fix like your proposal.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi