Hi,

In order to avoid working both at the same thing, do you think about
implementing this yourself in near future or do you prefer that I try
implementing it myself and send you a patch ?

For the case where you prefer that I try implementing it, here a quick
information in natural language how I would implement this in order to
see if I am thinking it correctly (line beginning with *** are changed):

1166 /**
1167  * nilfs_cleanerd_clean_loop - main loop of the cleaner daemon
1168  * @cleanerd: cleanerd object
1169  */
1170 static int nilfs_cleanerd_clean_loop(struct nilfs_cleanerd *cleanerd)
1171 {
1172         struct nilfs_sustat sustat;
1173         __u64 prev_nongc_ctime = 0, prottime = 0, oldest = 0;
1174         __u64 segnums[NILFS_CLDCONFIG_NSEGMENTS_PER_CLEAN_MAX];

***            _u64 previousfirstsegnum = max value of _u64;

1175         struct timespec timeout;
1176         sigset_t sigset;
1177         int ns, ret;
1178
1179         sigemptyset(&sigset);
1180         if (sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, &sigset, NULL) < 0) {
1181                 syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot set signal mask: %m");
1182                 return -1;
1183         }
1184         sigaddset(&sigset, SIGHUP);
1185
1186         if (set_sigterm_handler() < 0) {
1187                 syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot set SIGTERM signal handler:
%m");
1188                 return -1;
1189         }
1190         if (set_sighup_handler() < 0) {
1191                 syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot set SIGHUP signal handler:
%m");
1192                 return -1;
1193         }
1194
1195         nilfs_cleanerd_reload_config = 0;
1196
1197         ret = nilfs_cleanerd_init_interval(cleanerd);
1198         if (ret < 0)
1199                 return -1;
1200
1201         cleanerd->c_running = 1;
1202         cleanerd->c_ncleansegs =
cleanerd->c_config.cf_nsegments_per_clean;
1203
1204         while (1) {
1205                 if (sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, &sigset, NULL) < 0) {
1206                         syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot set signal mask: %m");
1207                         return -1;
1208                 }
1209
1210                 if (nilfs_cleanerd_reload_config) {
1211                         if (nilfs_cleanerd_reconfig(cleanerd)) {
1212                                 syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot configure:
%m");
1213                                 return -1;
1214                         }
1215                         nilfs_cleanerd_reload_config = 0;
1216                         syslog(LOG_INFO, "configuration file
reloaded");
1217                 }
1218
1219                 if (nilfs_get_sustat(cleanerd->c_nilfs, &sustat) < 0) {
1220                         syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot get segment usage
stat: %m");
1221                         return -1;
1222                 }
1223                 if (sustat.ss_nongc_ctime != prev_nongc_ctime) {
1224                         cleanerd->c_running = 1;
1225                         prev_nongc_ctime = sustat.ss_nongc_ctime;
1226                 }
1227                 if (!cleanerd->c_running)
1228                         goto sleep;
1229
1230                 syslog(LOG_DEBUG, "ncleansegs = %llu",
1231                        (unsigned long long)sustat.ss_ncleansegs);
1232
1233                 ns = nilfs_cleanerd_select_segments(
1234                         cleanerd, &sustat, segnums, &prottime,
&oldest);
1235                 if (ns < 0) {
1236                         syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot select segments: %m");
1237                         return -1;
1238                 }

***                    if ((in_configfile_defined_treshold > 0) &&
(segnums[0] < previousfirstsegnum)) // one full pass finished or first pass
                         {
                            if more than in_configfile_defined_treshold
space available (defined in configfile)
                            {
                               set timout to
in_configfile_definied_checktime secs;
                               goto sleep;
                            }
                         }

                         previousfirstsegum = segnums[0];

1239                 syslog(LOG_DEBUG, "%d segment%s selected to be
cleaned",
1240                        ns, (ns <= 1) ? "" : "s");
1241                 if (ns > 0) {
1242                         ret = nilfs_cleanerd_clean_segments(
1243                                 cleanerd, &sustat, segnums, ns,
prottime);
1244                         if (ret < 0)
1245                                 return -1;
1246                 }
1247
1248                 ret = nilfs_cleanerd_recalc_interval(
1249                         cleanerd, ns, prottime, oldest, &timeout);
1250                 if (ret < 0)
1251                         return -1;
1252                 else if (ret > 0)
1253                         continue;
1254  sleep:
1255                 if (sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, &sigset, NULL) < 0) {
1256                         syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot set signal mask: %m");
1257                         return -1;
1258                 }
1259
1260                 ret = nilfs_cleanerd_sleep(cleanerd, &timeout);
1261                 if (ret < 0)
1262                         return -1;
1263         }
1264 }

I suppose that calling nilfs_get_sustat and
nilfs_cleanerd_select_segments without actually cleaning wouldn't cause
problems and nilfs_cleanerd_select_segments would always return the
first segment equal or less than the one from last call or am I wrong
with this ? Is there a nilfs specific function I should use to determine
the free space available or should I use statfs ?

Thanks in advance,
Bye,
David Arendt