On Friday December 2, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Which generates errors when I try and copy off large amounts of data:
>      About ten of these:
>           ata1: translated ATA stat/err 0x25/00 to SCSI SK/ASC/ASCQ 0x4/00/00
>           ata1: status=0x25 { DeviceFault CorrectedError Error }
>           SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
>           sda: Current: sense key: Hardware Error
>           Additional sense: No additional sense information
>           end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 489794513

Sounds like there is something badly wrong with your hardware.  I've
no idea what though ... maybe a bad cable??

> Should I do this:
>     > fsck -n -c /dev/md0
>     > mdadm --assemble /dev/md0
>     > mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdb3

The ordering looks wrong (you cannot fsck before you assemble) , but
it is probably your best bet (assume you don't have ongoing hardware
errors).

> or this:
>      > mdadm -c /dev/md0 -l 5 -n 4 -x 0 -f /dev/sdd3 /dev/sdc3
> /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda3
>      > mdadm -S /dev/md0
>      > mdadm --assemble --update=resync /dev/md0

You mean '-C', not '-c', and the last two steps are pointless after
the first.  But your first option is probably best, not that there is
liekly to be a big difference in the result.

> or ???
>
> If anyone has this knowledge, please share. I'm in over my head on this one.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> P.S. I am currently running a non-distructive badblock check while I
> wait for expert advice:

That's a good idea.  I would do that on all the devices... in parallel.

NeilBrown