In contrast, ever since these holes appeared, drive failures became the norm.

wow, great conspiracy theory! maybe the hole is plugged at the factory with a substance which evaporates at 1/warranty-period ;)

seriously, isn't it easy to imagine a bladder-like arrangement that permits equilibration without net flow? disk spec-sheets do limit
this - I checked the seagate 7200.10: 10k feet operating, 40k max.
amusingly -200 feet is the min either way...

   Doe anyone rememnber that you had to let you drives acclimate to your
machine room for a day or so before you used them.

The problem is, that's not enough; the room temperature/humidity has to be
controlled too.  In a desktop environment, that's not really feasible.

5-90% humidity, operating, 95% non-op, and 30%/hour.  seems pretty easy
to me. in fact, I frequently ask people to justify the assumption that a good machineroom needs tight control over humidity. (assuming, like most machinerooms, you aren't frequently handling the innards.)