Peter Rabbitson wrote:

[*] The layout is the same but the functionality is different. If you have 1+0 on 4 drives, you can survive a loss of 2 drives as long as they are part of different mirrors. mdadm -C -l 10 -n 4 -o n2 <drives> however will _NOT_ survive a loss of 2 drives.

In my 4 drive system, I'm clearly not getting 1+0's ability to use grub out of the RAID10. I expect it's because I used 1.2 superblocks (why not use the latest, I said, foolishly...) and therefore the RAID10 -- with even number of drives -- can't be read by grub. If you'd patch that information into the man pages that'd be very useful indeed.

Thanks for your attention to this!

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "no user serviceable parts below this line"