David Greaves wrote:

Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
I expect it's because I used 1.2 superblocks (why
not use the latest, I said, foolishly...) and therefore the RAID10 --

Aha - an 'in the wild' example of why we should deprecate '0.9 1.0 1.1, 1.2' and
rename the superblocks to data-version + on-disk-location :)

Even if renamed, I'd still need a Clue as to why to prefer one scheme over the other. For example, I've now learned that if I want to set up a RAID1 /boot, it must actually be 1.2 or grub won't be able to read it. (I would therefore argue that if the new version ever becomes default, then the default sub-version ought to be 1.2.)

As to the wiki: I am not certain I found the Wiki you're referring to; I did find others, and none had the ringing clarity of Peter's definitive "RAID10 won't work for /boot."

The process I'm going through -- cloning an old amd-k7 server into a new amd64 server -- is something I will document, and this particular grub issue is one of the things I intend to mention. So, where is this Wiki of which you speak?

--
Moshe Yudkowsky * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * www.pobox.com/~moshe
 "A kind word will go a long way, but a kind word and