On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 06:12:56PM -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:

> I am all for "cleaner, more capable..." but why incompatible?  If we want to
> start fresh and then convert OpenSM later, fine.  But _don't_ forget to go
> back and convert OpenSM, because if you leave ib_types.h out there someone is
> going to use it and we are back to where we started...  :-(  Same for ibmad,
> when these definitions become available in umad, mad can be simplified.

ib_types.h should not be installed in /usr/include, stop doing that
and that risk goes away.

ibmad can't really be changed, it is system library with a defined
API. Maybe ibmad.2 or something, I don't know. I tried to use some of
the PR APIs in it, and I've found them not useful :(

For instance we can't just abandon the mad_get_fields approach because
we have real, usuable field access in umad, it has to stay.

> Right now there are 3 headers I find path record in.

> libibverbs: sa.h

This isn't a MAD path record, this is the kernel version, which is
unpacked. What we really needs is MAD 2 kernel and vice versa
conversion in a library. I already have code that does this in
several places :(

> libibmad: mad.h

You mean mad_get_fields IB_SA_PR_DGID_F, etc? It doesn't even have all
the fields :(

> opensm: ib_types.h

Yep.

> Node type is defined in:
>
> libibverbs: verbs.h
> opensm: ib_types.h
> libibmad: mad.h
>
> I could go on.

Keep in mind that for the most part libibmad is someones attempt to
make a set of accessors and structures for mads. It is incomplete. It
is largely unusable. I certainly haven't been able to use its PR
structure parsing functions for any real app. Was it just pulled out
of opensm? I don't know, I'd just as soon see that part of it be
discarded, and a complete set of structures added to umad.

opensm has unique problems because they want to remain independent of the
OFA stack, I don't think they have a choice but to duplicate.