On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Dan Williams wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Alan Stern <st...@rowland.harvard.edu>
>> wrote:

>> > What you have just described is essentially what runtime PM does.
>>
>> Deliberately so...
>>
>> > There's no need to implement it any other way.  And this explains why
>> > disabling runtime PM would also disable lazy resume.
>>
>> The need is to avoid tying rpm and dpm ops together in surprising new
>> ways that require userspace to change if it wants to keep the default
>> behavior of hiding resume latency as much as possible.  A lazy_resume
>> knob vs changing the default let's the few setups that care set the
>> power-up in standby mode.
>
> That's why I proposed it.  What are you getting at?

?

Yes, earlier in the thread you propose a lazy_resume knob and then
later say "there's no need to implement it any other way" referring to
runtime PM.  I took that to mean there's no need to consider any other
solution besides disabling runtime PM.

>>  It should also "perform" better given it
>> does not require the disk to be runtime suspended prior to system
>> suspend, it will unconditionally resume on demand.
>
> None of my posts in this email thread have required the disk to be in
> runtime suspend prior to the system suspend.

Apologies, I was recalling one of the earlier patches.

--
Dan