On 10/21/2014 12:10 PM, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
On 10/20/2014 3:56 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 10/19/14 19:36, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
On 10/7/2014 4:07 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
          * comp_vector, a number in the range 0..n-1 specifying the
-          MSI-X completion vector. Some HCA's allocate multiple (n)
-          MSI-X vectors per HCA port. If the IRQ affinity masks of
-          these interrupts have been configured such that each MSI-X
-          interrupt is handled by a different CPU then the comp_vector
-          parameter can be used to spread the SRP completion workload
-          over multiple CPU's.
+          MSI-X completion vector of the first RDMA channel. Some
+          HCA's allocate multiple (n) MSI-X vectors per HCA port. If
+          the IRQ affinity masks of these interrupts have been
+          configured such that each MSI-X interrupt is handled by a
+          different CPU then the comp_vector parameter can be used to
+          spread the SRP completion workload over multiple CPU's.

This is fairly not trivial for the user...

Aren't we requesting a bit too much awareness here?
Can't we just "make it work"? The user hands out ch_count - why can't
you do some least-used logic here?

Maybe we can even go with per-cpu QPs and discard comp_vector argument?
this would probably bring the best performance, wouldn't it?
(fallback to least-used logic in case HW support less vectors)

Hello Sagi,

The only reason the comp_vector parameter is still supported is because
of backwards compatibility. What I expect is that users will set the
ch_count parameter but not the comp_vector parameter.

Hey Bart,

Another wander I have with this. Say you have 8 cores on a single numa
node. First connection will attach to vectors 0-3 (ch_count=4) and so
are all the connections. Don't we want to spread that a little?

If we are not going per-cpu, why aren't we trying to spread vectors
around to try and reduce the interference?

Sagi.