At 08:55 PM 10/22/2002 -0700, John Tyner wrote:
I saw some discussion as to whether we want to break V4L "standard" by
removing the proc interface, but the driverfs interface provides what was
required of the proc interface: shutter_speed to be settable for each
attached camera individually by a shell utility such as echo.
Most V4L drivers use the proc interface to display & change settings.

Even the usbvideo.c mini-driver provides stubs for this.

*Why* are we determined to change V4L behavior?

Right now... as in the current kernels... any V4L information is contained in /proc/video. V4L drivers that provide information provide it through proc. That's why it was built in to usbvideo.c. Any power user looking to browse V4L info about their system knows its in one place: /proc/video.

Except, as proposed, for vicam. Shouldn't you raise this issue of providing V4L info somewhere other than /proc/video in the V4L list first?

Please don't remove the proc interface. This is a V4L issue. It's in there because this is a V4L driver.

Thanks.

-Joe