At 10:34 AM 10/23/2002 +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
Why should shutter speed setting be different from, eg. frame size?
They should be settable by the same method.
Agreed. And in V4L2 they can be. Technically it could be set through a vicam-specific ioctl, but if that were the only way to set shutter speed, the reality is nobody would be able to set it. No V4L app would know about my custom ioctl, and even if I wrote a custom app to allow shutter tweaking the lead time for people to get the app in their distribution is fairly long.

Secondly, vicam like most V4L devices, implements exclusive open.
A proc or driverfs file to change a setting violates that model.
The risk being run here (root might change camuser's shutter speed on him / disconnect at just the wrong time) is less than the benefit (the shutter speed can be changed).

I believe the exclusive open model is required by V4L. One of the benefits of v4l2 is that it allows multiple opens.

-Joe