On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Ged Haywood wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Serge Winitzki wrote:
>
> > I'm probably not ready to try 2.6.0. What about 2.4.21, is it really
> > so seriously lacking in the USB ability?
>
> I gave up with it.  Crashed all the time with USB.  YMMV.

I got a USB compact-flash card reader working with 2.4.21 with no
problems whatsoever (hot-plugged to /dev/sda). I believe my problem was
the mp3 player that is not really a usb disk but requires a special
driver. The issue may be considered closed, except it would be nice to
have a more robust USB diagnostics and to not have commands like "rmmod
usb-storage" silently hang.

--
        Serge