Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2007 21:16 schrieb Alan Stern:

> > May  8 10:46:07 benz505sx kernel: usb-storage: -- Result from auto-sense
> > is 0 May  8 10:46:07 benz505sx kernel: usb-storage: -- code: 0x70, key:
> > 0x3, ASC: 0x30, ASCQ: 0x1
>
> This error message means "Medium Error: Cannot read medium - unknown
> format".  However I suspect that code is incorrect, because the command
> was ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL, which doesn't require the slot to read anything
>
> >from the stick.

> More likely the slot just can't handle the command at all.  Fortunately
> it's possible to prevent the command from being sent.  If you post the
> output from "lsusb -v" for your device, I can send you a patch.  What
> version of the kernel are you running?

lsusb -v:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 054c:0069 Sony Corp. Memorystick MSC-U03 Reader
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        16
  idVendor           0x054c Sony Corp.
  idProduct          0x0069 Memorystick MSC-U03 Reader
  bcdDevice            1.07
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           39
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      5 SFF-8070i
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
        bInterval               1

I'm using the kernel version 2.6.20.2 with the options I mentionend in my
first posting.

> > > On the other hand if that message shows up only when the slot is empty,
> > > and if your only problem is that the log files keep growing, then
> > > there's nothing to worry about.  Simply turn off
> > > CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG; that will prevent these messages from being
> > > logged.
> >
> > Thats something for a start. But it would be great if I get the slot
> > working...
>
> Does the slot not work?  You haven't said what happens when you try to use
> the stick.  Those errors messages above aren't fatal.
The stick is not mountable. When I insert it (a Sony Memory Stick M2 micro in
an M2 Adaptor) into the slot some program (I think the kernel modul sonypi or
so, which gives also access to the fn-keys) tells me, that I inserted a
memory stick. But there is no accessable device under /dev. The stick itself
is working, as I can use it in my phone and access it through the phone if I
connect the phone with a usb-cable with my laptop.

Thanks,

Ben