On a related-but-different topic ...

Is it practical (or will it soon be practical) to have
the Linux printer subsystem automatically learn all about
new USB printers as we plug them in?

I know that different spooler frameworks work differently,
and that classically things have been set up for static
configuration, not such dynamic reconfiguration.

What I'm thinking would be nice is if when someone adds
a new USB printer (say an Epson Stylus Photo 750 or 870),
the USB daemon will be able not only to modprobe the USB
printer module ... but also to invoke a config script to
have the print subsystem take maximal advantage of it,
without needing more than the initial plug-it-in as user
input.  And similarly, of course, if they plug in a parallel
port printer to a USB parallel port adapter.

Having the IEEE-1284 printer IDs would seem important for
such autoconfiguration, but I'd guess it's not sufficient.
I'd be pleased to learn that Linux printing makes this sort
of stuff easy already ... can someone share some clues?

- Dave