David Brownell wrote:

> > or more, what if I already have an ohci controller and add an extra ohci
> > controller on a pcmcia card? Your modprobe would fail, but is the driver's
> > probe function called again ?
>
> Good question.   I suspect "no" is the answer; I didn't see the
> USB kernel drivers adding their probe functions to a table, it
> looked instead like they scanned a table.

do we really want this functionality in the usb part ?

> > IMHO, the problem with the current implementations/designs is not really
> > pluggin' devices, it's pluggin' (PnP supporting) busses.
>
> Nicely put.

thanks :-)

I forsee more problems here. This affects firewire, usb, pcmcia, hotplug pci
and whatever other type of pluggable busses are introduced, but above all,
when they are being mixed!

There will need to be some unified approach...or at least it will make lost of
things easier.
That is why i was talking about a table with devices, and a table with
available drivers. If a device is added, the driver table can be searched and
we can do something like a fake modprobe (if it is already loaded). If made
flexible enough, this can be used for any kind of bus and also solves the
problem of hot-plugging busses in other busses.
Lists of available drivers can be generated with (foir example) 'modprobe
-a'.  This requires that the modules contain what device(s) the module
supports. (and only has to be run when a driver is added.)
I wish I had time...*grin*

        J.
--
                                  ________