> > > Exactly.
> >
> > That can be done, but it seems like a lot more coding than just
> > providing shell scripts for each driver.
>
> I don't see how shell scripts can provide this functionality?

See:  http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/policy.html and look at
one way to do it (documentation + CVS of scripts).  There are
other ways; suggestions gratefully accepted!

> > Eventually, it'd make
> > more sense not to compile specific device IDs into drivers.
>
> Why?

Because the original driver has no strong reason to know, or care,
about every device that's going to be compatible enough to use it.

> Adding support for a device in a driver will at least force you to recompile
> the driver, so you do not create extra work. It would also automatically
> update your bindings when you upgrade the driver.

That's fine for the bindings that are compiled-in.  What about for
cases where a new device is compatible with another, and someone
just wants to spend thirty seconds getting it up (hack the admin
database) rather than tracking down the latest/buggiest driver or
figuring out how to modify that driver herself (or himself)?

> true, but what I meant to suggest was that you don't have to adjust config
> files of the deamon to let it know which driver to load. It can figure that
> out itself.

True, that can be handy.  But in engineering terms, we've got shell
scripts working already, and something based on specialized symbol
table manipulation (including getting drivers to adopt that convention,
which sounds 2.5-ish) isn't yet written.  (And if it gets written, it
could quite easily generate more up-to-date shell scripts ...)

At some level, it doesn't matter how the meta-data (what drivers
handle what devices) is managed ... except that it be easily changed
by administrators, and work well with the driver loading framework.

- Dave