My first Gentoo installation was done with a temporary cd-rom drive with the
covers off, after that everything was via the NIC.

Regards, Robert

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Ben Aitchison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Tuesday, 10 June 2003 3:41 p.m.
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Gentoo (was Re: OpenBSD)

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:00:48PM +1200, Fisher, Robert (FXNZ CHC) wrote:
> I suggest going to
>
> http://gazza.citylink.co.nz/gentoo/releases/1.4_rc4/x86/x86/livecd/
>
> and get gentoo-3stages-x86-1.4_rc4.iso
>
> And there is another great thing about Gentoo - there is a New Zealand
> mirror.
>
> PS - I will stand corrected if others have better suggestions.

Anyone have any idea how to install gentoo without a cdrom drive?  I
googled once without much success.  I want the most minimal system that
involves being able to remotely access the box, even if via null modem
cable.  Then I can stick the noisy computer away from me, and not mind
the long compile times :)

Actually, now I think about it.  I have a Dual PPro 200, that has a scsi
cdrom drive, which I have no idea how to boot off.  But if I can boot off
of a floppy drive and hardness a cdrom image, it'd be fine?  It's got
Debian on it at the moment (FreeBSD wouldn't go on it) but it's not even
turned on, because I don't really have any use for it :)

Ben.