Hi

At Software Freedom day, I expressed interest in trying to identify the numbers of Linux Users. I have had a thought to get the OIA to work in our favour and have drafted the following letter that I will send to ACC. For an OIA request to work, I need to be specific about the document or information that I am requesting. Can someone who understands server logs and user agent strings better than I have a look and see if I can describe what I am asking better.

I will make the response available to any who are interested.

Regards

Graeme Kiyoto-Ward

DRAFT LETTER STARTS
-------------------------------------

To ACC

From Me

OFFICIAL INFORMATION ACT REQUEST

Dear Sir Madam

I am making a request for information under the Official Information Act 1982.

Please provide to me the summary of statistics that show the types of Web Browser and types of Operating System that visit the ACC homepage and the ACC website in general. If you have a normal reporting period for this information, I am happy for the information to be for one reporting period in late 2007, as long as you specify what the reporting period is. If you do not have a standard reporting period, please provide the information for the month of August 2007.

Please provide this information either in writing to the address at the top of this letter or feel free to e-mail this information to my e-mail address...

I believe that this information should be readily available as ACC will need to track the user agent strings statistics for web browser accessing the ACC homepage at least. Under section 18.1 of the NZ government agency web site Standards, Government Agencies must make their websites usable browsers under the following conditions:

The minimum list of web browser types and their corresponding version(s) combinations is derived from those that make up 1% or more of the total web browser types/versions that have been used by users accessing the homepage of the ‘Main’ agency web site of the agency over a specific 12 month period. Internet Explorer 7.n (Windows, Mac) and/or Firefox 2.x (Windows, Linux, Mac) must be included in this list, if not already present.

The purpose for this request is that it is difficult to understand the extent to which different Web Browsers and Operating Systems are used within New Zealand. I believe that ACC is one excellent source for this information because the extent to which your organization provides information online.

DRAFT LETTER ENDS