On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Christopher Sawtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If the address changes from clug.{net,org}.nz please could you let me

No, there would be no intention to change the domain names used, just
the server that they point to.

> btw, It would be rather nice if members of the CLUG central cabal
> could have mail forwarding from [EMAIL PROTECTED] organised.
> Is that possible without too much trouble?

Well, someone would have to provide a mail server facility (I have
that available), but more importantly someone would have to detail
"cabal membership", which is probably not a good idea. If There Is No
CLUG, There Can't Be A Cabal Either (ITINCTCBACE).

If you have open membership from everyone, you eventually get misuse.
I don't want to have to tidy up from that! Plus you have to automate
it or else it's a chore for the administrator. If you have closed
membership, who decides who gets left out in the cold?

*If* there were a more concrete definition of "CLUG membership" it
would be easy ... but that's dangerously close to "incorporation",
which is not going to be successful in a "somewhat  political
ginger-group cum social club for techo-geek nerds" :-)

So, technically it's easy to set up. In practice it could be a pain to
administer, and politically I expect wouldn't be that much fun either.
That's my opinion, so I don't think I'll offer my services there, but
someone else may not feel as negative ... :-) All you have to do is
convince Cabal Member Rout to put an MX record into the domains ...

-jim