Thanks - it may have helped.  I'll take a look at the logs much later today.

I dropped the speed from 115200 to 57600 and it's a little bit more reliable
now, but only by a fraction, not at all by a magnitude.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Wesley Parish

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009, Ross Drummond wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Wesley Parish wrote:
> > Well, for what it's worth, it's not getting any better; and I have
> > disproved a couple of contentions of the amateurs I've talked to so far
> > at Telecom and Paradise.net.nz - I've used the second jackpoint in the
> > flat, and it's still falling over like a drunk with half a keg of vodka
> > inside of him; and I've just upgraded the PC - and the connection's still
> > falling over like aforementioned drunk.
> >
> > > Wesley Parish
>
> I see you have a Paradise email address. This means that your connections
> will be through Telstra Clear's Lucent remote access server.
>
> Go to this archived message and apply the work around suggested there;
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz/msg50654.html
>
> If that fails to work append the line "debug" to your /etc/ppp/options
> file. This will output a lot of stuff to your /var/log/messages file and
> may give you a clue about what is going on.
>
> Cheers Ross Drummond

-----
George Kelischek - "To impress those high-tech computer types,
tell them what an Ocarina really is:
an animal-activated-solid-state-multi-frequency-sound-synthesizer."
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?