Calling all TeXperts.

How do I enclose text within square brackets?

I am doing this within an array, the output is fine but error messages are
produced. Other methods I have tried italicised the text or stripped the
spacing between words. There must be some simple method to enclose text within
square brackets that I have overlooked.

Cheers Ross Drummond

PS. You may be interested in my solution to this problem;

How do I place text in the right hand side of a page leaving the left hand
side blank? I tried to achieve this using the tabular and column environments.
The output was not satisfactory.

The solution I came up with was to use the tabbing environment and a
calculated 'hspace' to set the the tab stop. Example code below;

\begin{tabbing}
\hspace*{0.5\linewidth} \= Ice creams \\
\\
 \> Strawberry \\
\\
\> Chocolate \\