On Mon, July 5, 2010 20:32, Aidan Gauland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get a handheld scanner for academic research (i.e.
> digitising required reading for uni classes).  Can anyone recommend
> any models (and tell of any to avoid)?  I have given myself a headache
> searching, and handhelds seem to be waaaaaaaay less common than
> flatbeds.
>
> Thanks,
> Aidan

Hi Aidan,

I don't recommend handheld scanners because they are very hard get good
scans.  They require you to pull at a constant speed and keep your path
perfectly strait and level.  Even if they have rubber rollers to detect
your speed, they do slip and can lose track of distance.  It is very hard
to get a "good scans" with these devices.  And if you are going to OCR the
scans, then you'll need every little bit of accuracy because at best
you're looking at 85-95% with a good scan.  However, for scanning books,
flatbeds have issues distortion in the center of thick books.  One
solution is to cut the book from its binding and then scan the flat pages
using a ADF. (Automatic Document Feeder)  Re-glue the book back together
when finished.  Assuming you own the books and can do that. :)

Otherwise, DIY with something like this works with two digital cameras
taking pictures of the pages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSU6y0EIrWY

Good luck,
sV