Aidan Gauland wrote, On 07/05/2010 08:32 PM:
I would like to get a handheld scanner for academic research (i.e.
digitising required reading for uni classes).  Can anyone recommend
any models (and tell of any to avoid)?  I have given myself a headache
searching, and handhelds seem to be waaaaaaaay less common than
flatbeds.

Crikey - I remember thinking that hand scanners were cool in the early 90s.

From memory they're generally serial based. You're not going to find any of them new.

This crowd have some modernised variants http://planon.com/ bluetooth etc.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/aa54/   $300 US new
No idea about linux support

I have a vague memory of some that were like pens, and you dragged the tip over the page one line at a time. Can't find anything like that now.

Another option is a camera with a decent macro mode - a 5MP snap of a page from 400mm should be readable, if the lens and lighting is right.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Copy-Stand-Cheap-and-easy-to-build/
Not exactly portable, and also there is a firmware for canon-based cameras at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK which can be very handy.

Or are you just finding an excuse to buy a tool? Scanning required reading isn't the same as reading/comprehending the required reading :)

--
Craig Falconer