>More major quibble:  I'm surprised that someone with serious background in
>German hadn't been exposed to Fraktur fonts.

I was born in Germany in 1971, lived there until 1996 and received my
primary/secondary education as well as the equivalent of a master's
degree there. I'd therefore call my background in German fairly
"serious". My "exposure" to Fraktur fonts throughout that time was
really limited to a few beer bottle lables, the front page headlines of
one major conservative newspaper (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung - FAZ,
the same one that still boycotts the spelling reform), and some fancy
Xmas greeting cards, many of which did not use the long-s correctly.
That's all there's left of it. My grandparents could read Fraktur
fluently, but they are all dead already. So is Fraktur. Even by parents
find it difficult to read long text passages in it, as do most people
ages less than ~60. I wonder, why detailed typographic rules for how to
use Fraktur correctly can still be found described in the DUDEN. The
relevant sections feel someout out-of-time.

Markus