>> How specific is this to chronyd?
> AFAIK no other application implements the server side of the protocol.
>> Would it make sense to call this chronysock
>> instead of just sock?
> Yes, that makes sense. If there are no other issues with the
> patches, I can resend.

Calling it chronysock has the disadvantage of sounding like only chrony should
use it.

>> The implementation seems fine but its using an interface that was defined by
>> chrony. I suppose another application could implement the same interface
>> though..

> ntpsec might be interested in implementing it. We'll see.

Is there a URL for the spec?  I don't want an RFC.  Good comments in a header
file may be enough.  A separate document may be better if there are
complications that need explaining.

Is there a version number?  (or plan for how to update things)

--------

I agree that the current SHM setup is far from wonderful.  There is a clean
way to make SHM read-only by receivers so you can have multiple receivers.
That would let you run gpsmon while chronyd/ntpd is running.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.