On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 10:22 -0500, Jeremy Nelson wrote:
> So many of you know this, so bear with me:
>       /SEND   sends a message to the window's current target
>       /SAY    sends a message to the window's current channel.
> If you have a /query going in a window with a channel, the /query overrides
> the channel as the current target.  This is the purpose of /say, to be able
> to msg a channel in a window where you have a /query going.
>
> Historically the /exec -out command has always used the /say command to
> redirect the output.  Recently it has been requested that we switch to
> using /send so it can be possible to /exec -out to a query.
>
> This change will mean if you have a channel and a /query in the same
> window, then /exec -out will send to the query, and not the channel.

Personally, I think you're not really gaining anything by doing this,
but you are losing something in breaking backwards compatibility.
Consider that, if you currently want to send /exec to the person you're
talking to in a query, you need to do /exec -m <querydestination>; with
the change, if you were talking in a query and wanted output to go to
the channel, you'd have to do /exec -m <channel> instead of /exec -o.
Basically, I don't see any net in making the change.

> This seems reasonable enough to me, but it is a break from backwards
> compatability, so it needs to be discussed and vetted in public.
> What do you all think?

I think that a new /exec flag that uses /send instead of /say might be a
better approach.

--
Ben Winslow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>