Presently, there are 15 (!) /SET's that control how stuff to be displayed
gets mangled by the mangler...

        DISPLAY_ANSI    DISPLAY_PC_CHARACTERS   EIGHT_BIT
        BEEP            BEEP_MAX                TAB_MAX
        ND_SPACE_MAX    INVERSE_VIDEO           BOLD_VIDEO
        BLINK_VIDEO     UNDERLINE_VIDEO         ALT_CHARSET
        COLOR           ALLOW_C1_CHARS          TERM_DOES_BRIGHT_BLINK

You all know about the "mangler" sets:
        MANGLE_INBOUND
        MANGLE_OUTBOUND
        MANGLE_LOGFILE

For the purposes of "simplification", I am trying to reduce the number of
historical curiosities in epic5 that support features that extremely few
people actually need, outside of unmitigated curiosity.

I propose to remove most or all of these /set's and add a new one, called
/SET MANGLE_DISPLAY.  We know the mangler directly supports 8 of the 15
/set's, among other things:

        ANSI            /set display_ansi
        ND_SPACE        /set nd_space_max
        REVERSE         /set inverse_video
        BOLD            /set bold_video
        BLINK           /set blink_video
        UNDERLINE       /set underline_video
        ALT_CHAR        /set alt_charset
        COLOR           /set color

The 7 that are not directly addressed are:

   /SET BEEP
   /SET ALLOW_C1_CHARS
        I think we could add these two as new mangle types.

   /SET BEEP_MAX
        Once upon a time (over 13 years ago), ircII used to beep at you once
        for each ^G.  For the last 13 years, ircII will only beep once per
        line, no matter how many ^G's there are.  While someone could come
        up with a contrived reason why keeping this might be useful, it is
        expensive and complicated to support this and would be much simpler
        to just treat it as though it had the hardcoded value everybody
        uses (0 -- no limit). I therefore propose to de-support this.

   /SET TAB_MAX
        IrcII used to have a hard limit of 2048 bytes (25 screen lines) per
        logical line of output.  It used to be possible for a privmsg with
        over 250 tabs to exceed the 2048 byte line limit and cause overflow.
        EPIC has no limitation on logical line size, so this is not an issue
        for us.  It's the same story as BEEP_MAX -- it's expensive and
        complicated.  Hardcoding the default value of 0 (no limit) is not
        going to cause any real problems.  I propose to de-support this.

    /SET EIGHT_BIT_CHARACTERS
        This set is meant for those whose terminal emulators are incapable
        of handling 8 bit data.  Such terminal emulators have long since
        gone into history, and there is no reason why we can't assume that
        the user has an 8 bit capable terminal.  EPIC4 will always be around
        and supported, and it will always support 7 bit characters, but I
        propose that in epic5 we no longer worry about compatability with
        8-bit-incapable terminals.

    /SET DISPLAY_PC_CHARACTERS
        This is used to handle converting 8 bit characters to 7 bit
        equivalents for people who don't have 8 bit characters.  For the
        same reasons as above, this is a feature that I think should be
        retired.

    /SET TERM_DOES_BRIGHT_BLINK
        I'm not sure what this does, so I'll keep it.  I know that knghtbrd
        says it's very important!

Jeremy