Presently in epic5, it is not possible to renumber windows that have
channels in them.  This is because internally, channels are attached
to windows by refnums, so changing the window refnum requires going
back and changing all the channels.  This presumptively requires hooking
/on switch_channels for every affected channel, and having looked at the
topicbar code some of you use, this would probably lead to corruption
(or crashes).

The only real solution I can come up with this after a lot of thinking is
a new /on that hooks to tell you a window has changed refnum.  It would
be incumbent upon you, as a scripter, to take whatever steps with your
own data structures to run with it.  Specifically, you would not get a
/on switch_channels for all affected channels.

It would work something like this:
                /on window_renumber * {...}
        where $0 is the old refnum, and $1 is the new refnum.

I am not (necessarily) committed towards this course of action, but I want
to get advice and suggestions before I do something we will all regret. ;-)

Jeremy