BTW, the mailing list seems to be broken since I upgraded mailman
this morning, and you're receiving multiples.  I apologize for this,
and I'm trying to figure out what went wrong.

Nullie write:
>[A modest proposal to be able to turn off support for words with spaces]

It is my personal opinion (as a user, not as a coder) that support for
words with spaces is important, and that it is undesirable for there not
to be a single set of rules on when double quoted words are supported
and when they are not.  It is also unfortunate that there are some places
you really wish you could turn off support for them, but you can't.

Any changes we make as a part of this discussion would have to be at the
language syntax level, because it's not practical to push down special flags
that modify how commands interpret their argument list **yet**.

But this is what got us into this problem in the first place.  The need
to distinguish between a string that contains deliberate double quoted
words and strings that may accidentally contain them is on a per-string
level, and we're talking about making global decisions.  It's not
practical to be able to track this kind of thing, alas.

Perhaps all this is just another reason to switch to ruby.

(All of these are just my opinions and are not official statements)
Jeremy