On Wed, Sep 06, 2006, Jeremy Nelson wrote:
>> [A modest proposal to be able to turn off support for words with spaces]
> It is my personal opinion (as a user, not as a coder) that support for
> words with spaces is important, and that it is undesirable for there not
> to be a single set of rules on when double quoted words are supported
> and when they are not.  It is also unfortunate that there are some places
> you really wish you could turn off support for them, but you can't.

Second thoughts: adding an operator to disable dquotes from called
functions is a really bad idea; it's ad-hoc and inconsistent with the
rest of scripting facilities.

My new proposal: adding /ufe, $uword(), $ufindw(), $usplice() and all
other elaborate ways to manipulate words, which would ignore dwords. To
do this without duplicating code, provide a generic internal way for
extracting words, specifying whether dwords are honored or not.

Does this sound acceptable?