On 15.08.2007, at 18:12, Jeremy Nelson wrote:

> Please, would everyone weigh in on this issue, so I can know what
> to do?

In my opinion, how epic5 used to handle REALNAME and IRCUSER was
rather unintuitive. When that's said, I am aware of the fact that it
has been like that for ages. However, epic5, or so I thought, is
about doing things proper (if there is such a thing as proper), and
it seems to be to be better to change REALNAME and IRCUSER to
something that makes it clear that changing these will NOT be
reflected immediately.

In addition to this, REALNAME and IRCUSER, in epic4 would be set
using the commands /REALNAME and /IRCUSER, and you could also do /SET
REALNAME. In epic4, it would be impossible for the scripter to
foresee what the client would use for REALNAME after running a script
like the following:

/SET REALNAME BLABLA_SET
*** Value of REALNAME set to BLABLA_SET
/REALNAME BLABLA_CMD
*** Realname at next server connnection: BLABLA_CMD
/SET REALNAME
*** Current value of REALNAME is BLABLA_SET

This is inconsistent.

In addition to this, $Y (which is used to 'return' the realname, in
scripts) would reflect the global variable for the REALNAME, not the
actually per-server used REALNAME.

All of this results in me suggesting we change REALNAME and IRCUSER
to DEFAULT_REALNAME and DEFAULT_IRCUSER, and rather script backwards
compatibility. This way we can make it a tad more intuitive and make
it easier for new users to understand what's going on.

hop changed REALNAME and IRCUSER to DEFAULT_REALNAME and
DEFAULT_IRCUSER, and scripted backwards compatibility. And I have
made a patch that does the following:

Has $Y reflect whatever the client has asked the *current server* to
use as realname, and I've added two $serverctl()-get/sets:

$serverctl(GET -1 REALNAME)
$serverctl(GET -1 DEFAULT_REALNAME)
$serverctl(SET -1 DEFAULT_REALNAME test)

These will allow the user to control realname per server and to
retrieve both what will be used on next connect and what's currently
used (the latter may also be retrieved using $Y).

I like these changes. And I don't find them especially dramatic. :-)

- Cheers,
Erlend (howl)