>Synopsis
>--------
>Tested on the above 2 machines, as root and regular user
>in both bash and sh environments, and in both console and xwindows.
>
>Issue: Browsing input history with ctrl+p, up arrow, and/or down arrow.

Hi!

In EPIC5 we scripted a lot of things that used to be hardcoded.  History
recall is one of those things.  The strange behavior you're observing is
the confluence of two signficant changes in epic5 versus epic4:

   epic4:  always did a /load global hardcoded that you couldn't turn off
   epic5:  Will only /load global iff you don't have your own .ircrc

   epic4:  hard hardcoded history recall that you couldn't customize
   epic5:  has a scripted history recall with lots of customizations,
           which you can activate with /load history.  It is also loaded
           by 'global' which is why history recall worked when you didn't
           have an ircrc.

So *if* you have an ~/.ircrc with epic5, you will probably want to add
/load global to it in order to ensure maximum backwards compatability with
epic4.  You may be asking, why doesn't it load it like epic4 did?  Most epic5
users are actually using a script, which wants to do things its own way, and
so epic5 doesn't force the issue.  But for those of us who roll our own ircrc,
there are definitely a few adjustments in epic5 versus epic4.

I do note however your point that if the ~/.ircrc is present but not readable,
that epic5 treats it as though it has been loaded.  I agree that's not the
proper behavior, and I'll put it on the buglist to fix.  Thanks for pointing
that out!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.  We're really friendly. =)

Jeremy