On Jul 10, 2009, at 12:47 PM, Jeremy Nelson wrote:
I'm unsure how to respond to this. The IP option in the Makefile is set by --program-prefix, which was demanded by the Debian people, and isn't used for directories that I can see. I am generally unfamiliar with the "DESTDIR"
option, although we do support --prefix and the full suite of --*dir
configure options.

Can you offer advise or guidance as to how DESTDIR should be supported; what
configure option would set it, etc?

As others have pointed out, DESTDIR comes from autoconf (or perhaps some of the widely used starter templates.) What no one has pointed out yet is that it is synonymous with the IP variable epic uses now.

Speaking as someone who has built 3 different linux distributions and countless OS packages, I think I can confidently say that while DESTDIR is the most popular label for this feature it doesn't have more than 70% of the "market." In fact, outside of autoconf projects it's virtually non-existent.

If you're taking votes, my vote is to leave it as is. It's simply an arbitrary label, and IP works as well as DESTDIR for that purpose. While I do think DESTDIR is the better name to have chosen from the beginning, it's hardly worth making everyone who's already packaging epic change their packages.

-Zach