At 08:59 AM 1/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:36 AM 1/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>At 09:13 AM 1/22/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>>>A small amount of thought might persuade you that this process is already
>>>well under way.  The root servers remain with NSI.  The root zone is
>>>frozen.  The RIRs, the regional IP address space registries, are thinking
>>>things over.  RFC editing has been moved away from IANA.  The IETF isn't
>>>terribly keen on the PSO.
>>>
>>Some of us know trademark law. I do. Some of us know the technical
>>aspects of modems, hard drives, etc.  I do. Some of us net nerds know
>>both the wired and the political structure of the internet and its
>>accompanying
>>alphabet soup. I don't. For us pathetic dummies, please translate.
>>
>>Uh, NSI, IP, IANA , and (with the above explanation) RIR I can handle. Since
>>I don't live in that domain (pun intended), what on earth "RFC editing has
>>been moved away from IANA.  The IETF isn't terribly keen on the PSO"
>>might mean I have no idea.
>>
>>Bill Lovell
>
>In that case you might want to find these things out before you
>tell things to a judge like "NIS will soon be under the control
>of ICANN", which is of course, not true.

What I actually wrote was:
        A more appropriate mode of operation for NSI (soon to be taken over by the
        Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, "ICANN") would be
        to register domain names not otherwise taken and then leave the registration
        intact until a court of competent jurisdiction tells it otherwise.
I'd heard this wild rumor, you see, which says that NSI was losing its
contract and
this other ICANN thingee was abirthing.  And my poor mind fails to grasp
what the
connection might be between what I said and exactly what actual words IETF
stands
for.

Would anyone ELSE care to enlighten us of the great unwashed, pathetically
ignorant
slobs as to what means that alphabet soup?

Bill Lovell